Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technique of Cold Smoking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJETTEN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Technique of Cold Smoking Reply with quote

I recently attended a Vegetable & Garlic Cooking class that featured a wonderful Smoked Tomato and Garlic Soup recipe. However, I am unsure of the cold smoking technique and have search all over the web for information.

Would anyone have experience with the cold smoking technique?
Where can I find a cold smoker? or can I rig one up?

Thanks,
Karla
rexmo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: cold smoking Reply with quote

Maybe googling pastrami or smoked fish would get you some info, they're typically done using cold smoking. Think low and slow smoking taken to an extreme.

If I were trying to do this, I'd use two smokers, one to generate the smoke, and the other unlit as a chamber to do the smoking, to eliminate most of the heat of the fire generating the smoke. So some sort of ducting would be required, maybe a blower.

If it's going into a hot soup, you could argue that cold smoking is not really necessary. Try putting your tomatoes and garlic on a smoker and make the soup with them once smoked. It is often argued that smoke absorption is appreciable only while the food is below cooking temperatures, i.e., in the early stages of cooking.

I would recommend getting your fire well established and past the bitter, creosotey initial stage characterized by grey-white smoke. The nearly invisible blue smoke is what you're after.

One further point, the choice of wood used to smoke may make more difference than the cold smoking. You might want to try to find out what it was smoked over.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Technique of Cold Smoking Reply with quote

KJETTEN wrote:
I recently attended a Vegetable & Garlic Cooking class that featured a wonderful Smoked Tomato and Garlic Soup recipe. However, I am unsure of the cold smoking technique and have search all over the web for information.

Would anyone have experience with the cold smoking technique?
Where can I find a cold smoker? or can I rig one up?

Thanks,
Karla

Hey Karla,

Cold smoking is generally done between 90 and 110 degrees F. I believe Alton Brown made a cold smoking rig out of a cardboard box, it isn't tough. I would pour through his books and see what you can dig up for ideas. The library may even have what you need, go have a gander.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum