Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: African Horned Melon or Kiwano
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirShazar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a creme brule in the husk if you kept it, or serve a soup in it.
noahgenda

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a kiwano yesterday, it was $2.50 here in michigan in the winter at a local supermarket. I enjoy the flavor personally, sort of a cucumber/kiwi/bannana flavor with a squeeze of lemon juice. certainly I dont buy as many of them as i do apples, but they are a fun treat every once in a while

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: These are gross Reply with quote

I had one for many of the same reasons and I will probably not buy one again, but I suppose they might grow on you.
chten11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Delicious Kiwano Reply with quote

I purchased a Kiwano here in northern Illinois three days ago at a Jewel. My wife and I cut into it tonight, and we both really enjoyed it. The color of the skin was orange with some lightly yellow splotches.

Like a couple other posters, I thought it tasted like a mix between a banana and a kiwi. The banana-like taste was just slightly sweet, like an underripe banana, not at all like a ripe banana. The kiwi-like taste was not really tart or sour at all, just a hint of kiwi. It was delicious!

My wife insisted that it tasted only like kiwi (no banana), but without any tartness.

We both agreed that there was no bitterness whatsoever, and that it was worth the $4.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a horned melon on my bathroom shelf that i bought about a year ago and it is in good order .I paid just under $2 for it .My understanding is that they are used in fruit salad or as a sauce on icecream. I have a volunteer plant in my garden with between 30&40 fruit on it. My question is how long do i need to wait for them to colour it is now late may in N.Z. I tried an immature one the other day as a cucumber but didn't like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: To Matt (guest) Reply with quote

Is this that ackward fruit you were talking about?:

http://teagans.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/dragon-fruit-3.jpg

If so, it's called a red dragon fruit Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Hard to Eat Reply with quote

I saw one of these in the grocery store last week and was also drawn to buy it. I had the same difficulty at the cash register because they couldn't figure out how to ring it up. I really like the look of the melon but it is really tedious to eat. I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to eat the seeds, just the gelatin casing. I wasn't very impressed with the taste and decided it wasn't worth my time to eat each seed at a time. But if you cut it at the equator and squeeze a half, the seeds come out much easier.
ef.cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: My experience with Horned Melons Reply with quote

In the residence hall where I worked as an RA, the staff hosted an Iron Chef contest for the residents last spring. Lo and behold, what was the surprise ingredient, but this lovely... uh... thing. Due to the flaky nature of Freshmen, no one showed up for the competition, so my coworkers and I tried one of these melons out. Like you said, it was kind of slimy. I found it hard to eat because of the numerous seeds. I reminded me somewhat of a cross between nopalitos and aloe. We decided to leave it out of our cooking experiments and instead watched each other try to figure out how to eat it effectively.
Its a good fruit to try once. If it tasted better, I might try it out as an ice cream bowl.
Kath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Kiwano Reply with quote

Just tried one with my kids. I didn't look the fruit up because I wanted to be surprised...and boy, was I ever! I cut it open first, had a taste, and wasn't impressed. After cutting into pieces, I offered some to my 8 year old and two year old. Both enjoyed their pieces, eating the green slime and seeds, leaving the rind behind. Both clammered for more....but I won't be buying one any time soon. I expected my kids to be turned off by the looks of it, but even tho they were a little, they still wanted to try it.

Thanks for the information from the blog and all the former posters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid $5 in here in Chicago. Didn't know what is was. looked it up. I'm currently straining it and I think I'll add some sugar and just drink the juice. The seeds make me confused. Can you eat them? they seem harmless enough, but I don't want to risk it.

If it were later in the day, I might try to fashion a martini out of the juice just for fun, but alas its only noon.

At the grocery, there was no price or name listed on mine either. Guess they figure most people wouldnt spend $5 on mystery fruit. =)
youngmiddleschooler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: omg totally cool Reply with quote

omg i am only 12 and i saw this at kroger. i am taking it to school tomarrow...i have a feeling i am about to be popular. Cool[[/u]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Yum!! Reply with quote

I think they taste great. For those wondering, I've eaten the seeds several times with no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Mmm... Reply with quote

I find that this fruit is delicious when used as a topping for plain yogurt. Spoon out the fruit and reduce in a saucepan with turbinado sugar, some lemon zest, and a little water. Strain to get the seeds out of the sauce and chunky bits of fruit. Then serve on top of chilled yogurt. Sweet, tangy, and wonderful. Smile
kez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: mmmmm Reply with quote

ok i just bought a kiwano from foodtown NZ and i had to laugh when reading the review as i encountered the same problem at the checkout however i am now home and sat with my kiwano and to be honest im looking at its disected presence and im not quite sure what to do next it almost reminds me of a pomegranate with a slightly more upmarket feel to it!!! it was decribes in the store as a cross in flavours between a banana and a lemon well im getting the lemon but im still awaiting the banana. whatever happens though i look forward to eating my hokey pokey ice cream from it later on!!!
Wormdirt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Can't wait Reply with quote

I've never tried this fruit but I've decided to grow out 50g of seeds in our heirloom garden. From the flavors that people have described here I'm thinking this will be lovely mixed with some coconut rum on ice (seeds and all). A slice of lemon on the glass will look especially nice with the green seedy cocktail. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting this article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: