Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: African Horned Melon or Kiwano
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Kiwano Reply with quote

I thought the kiwano tasted great. Don't expect a sweet treat though. Keep an open mind and you just might enjoy this one like I did. I enjoyed the flavor as well as the texture. I just cut it length wise, then sliced along the border with my knife to let loose the seeds/flesh, and ate it with a spoon. It wasn't bitter at all, though I heard some are. Mine tasted like cucumber and kiwi. Decorative, nutritous, and tasty in my opinion.
Shariindeed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Horned Melon Reply with quote

I just picked this fruit up at a grocery store in Key West two days ago. I put mine in the fridge and found on some sites you shouldn't. I think it is gorgeous on the outside and after looking at your photos of it, it is equally beautiful on the inside, esp. across the equator. I read most of the comments and would like to post that I read in my research that they taste better when they are green. It was described as a banana mixed with another fruit I cannot remember-oops! Sorry. I stayed away from the green ones thinking they were probably not a fruit that should be eaten unripe. I am looking forward to finding a green one and posting my thoughts on the taste. As for the one I have in the fridge...I think I'll just enjoy its looks for a couple more days! LOL
durb0715

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: memories Reply with quote

i was just going through kitchen supplies and found a melon scooper, the old lady said yeah thats for "cantaloupe, watermelon, or honey dew" and i says, or the kiwi horned melon baby, so i found this sight to show her and when i had my first horned melon experience it was kind of sketchy and went something like this....... i was intrigued by the look of this fruit so i bought one curious because id never seen or heard of them. took it to a restaurant i worked at and no one there had ever seen one either. we cut it in half, not pole to pole, but along the equator and everyone tried a little bit. with empty faces not knowing what to think, we came to the consensus that 1 out of the 5 of us that had tried it, liked it..i personally am not a big fan, thought it was a soury taste of like nothing and probably wouldnt spend the $5 i had to pay on it again, unless using for a decorative piece
East

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Kiwano Reply with quote

My friend and I saw these at the store one night while we were doing our 2 am binge shopping and decided to get one so we brought it home and let it sit on the conter for 2 days (because most produce isn't rully ripe when you buy it from the store( when we decided to finally cut it open it was a very bright orange and looked the same inside as the one above except unlike yours ours tasted like a mix of a Kiwi and a Banana I found it very good and I would recomending going out and trying it atleast once more and let them sit till they are a bright orange if you don't like them then, then you don't have to try them again

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across a cider that has Kiwano listed as an added aroma, and as you probably guessed it, it wasn't very good. Weird mixture with strawberries and such and yet all I can taste is the horrible Kiwano.. ):
David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one today and put it in a smoothie with four peaches. It was delicious.
alaskaeva

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: horned melon Reply with quote

I tried one a long time ago when I was a kid. My dad used to go around to produce sections and get the discounted things the store couldn't sell. He would get real cool stuff that we usually didn't buy in AK-like really ripe persimmons, starfruit, and papayas. I've always eaten everything, so I thought this one would be great when I found it in the box. I ate it - it was just like the description. I later broke out in hives. I didn't like the flavor either. Guess I can't complain - it was probably thrown in there for free.
Liz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: luck Reply with quote

This kiwano caught my eye at the grocery store today and despite the $3.49 tag i put it in my basket to purchase... when I got to the self-checkout the kiwano didn't have a sticker on it and I had forgotten what it was called. The man running the check-out charged me $.50 for it. Looks like I lucked out after seeing the comments on here! Maybe I'll give it awhile to ripen...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Just a Guest dong research Reply with quote

I saw this melon in publix a few weeks ago. Didnt know what it was and didnt know the price. The cashier, surprisingly, knew exactly what is was. and the plu. So i got it. I got it for its looks and it does attract a lot of attention. I continued to cut in to it and it was actually really good. I ate it directly from the shell. I might actually try the salad route next time i want a salad.
Guest1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from the store, it had a weird taste, so we threw it into the backyard for the birds. 6 months later it started growing. At this point they're green and there isn't enough sun to get them orange, are they ripe?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest1 wrote:
At this point they're green and there isn't enough sun to get them orange, are they ripe?

If the fruits have been out for 30-40 days, then they are considered mature and can be picked. They should begin to change color by this point and will continue to brighten and turn more orange over teh next month or so in storage. If they are still green when picked, then the colors will never fully develop unless you expose them to ethylene for a day or so. You can try putting the kiwanos in a paper bag with a couple apples to expose them to ethylene.
daugter of a cook'n engin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: liked horned melon Reply with quote

My 12yr old daughter talk me into buying one at the store today we cut it open- then found your web sight. Now knowing its seeds are edibale and it more like a cucumber than a melon it taste pretty good. we lightly sprinkled sugar on slices and ate dark choclate with it(choclate makes every thing taste better) I will try it again and make sure to get the one that is the darkest orange. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought a horned melon...i think it tastes like lemon-lime jello! it's not particularly tastey but it's fun!
babb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Wanted a refund Reply with quote

I happen to love cucumbers, kiwis and bananas but this thing tasted awful. It was probably under ripe because it was orangey green inside when I cut it open. It spilled all over the cutting board and what I could pick up were just hard seeds covered in slime. I felt sorry for my companion who spent $6 on it for me so I could try it and then I couldn't even eat it.

It tasted like a bland, slimy, cucumber with none of the refreshing zing or crispness of that vegetable. If it is better when it is more ripe or with sugar I don't know but it tasted so repulsive I doubt I'd by it again to find out. I guess anything would taste okay with the proper recipe.

Kiwis are sweet and tangy and bananas are rich and creamy but this fruit had neither of those qualities.
Philip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Didn't like it Reply with quote

Yeah, wish I'd read your post before I bought one of these. Had the same experience as you and obsess.

Only ate a third of it and then scooped the seeds out to plant later. Perhaps I can turn them into alcohol, otherwise they are only good for selling on to other mugs like me who was seduced by the skin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: