Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to grind or not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seachefrob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: to grind or not Reply with quote

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IF SALT IS FRESHLY GROUND VS. PREVIOUSLY GROUND ????
melva02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Nah Reply with quote

I don't think the difference between preground and fresh-ground salt is the same as for pepper. With pepper and other spices you have volatile aromatic compounds that escape, but salt is an ingredient that makes things taste more like themselves (the only true "seasoning" according to Alton Brown). The main difference is control of the grind size. I keep table salt, kosher salt, and canning salt on hand, and then I have whatever sea salts I've bought recently, and if one's too grainy I smash it up in a mortar.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with melva02 -- freshly ground salt does not impart additional flavors or aromas. It does produce chunkier pieces of salt which may play differently on the tongue than table salt, but it's easier and cheaper to use kosher salt (which comes in good sized flakes that are easy to control with your finger tips and large enough to stick to foods and produce concentrated bursts of saltiness).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum