Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vinegar Cookies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAKE808

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Vinegar Cookies Reply with quote

There are a few recipes with 1-2 Tbsps of vinegar added to the cookie or pie crust dough. What, if anything, does the vinegar do to the final product? These recipes result in a crispness that lasts longer than similar products without vinegar.
fwendy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acids are usually added to activate any raising agent in the recipe. I can see how this would be needed in a cookie recipe, but not in piecrusts - unless it's not a straightforward pastry dough.

Can't explain why the finished product stays crisper, though.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to look this up during the last day to no success. Vinegar does result in a flakier crust - using butter and vinegar, I can make a pie crust without using shortening or lard that is wonderfully flaky (and flavorful). I looked this up about a year ago because I wanted to know why, and I found the answer - but I've since forgotten and I can't find the answer again (at least not during the last day). My guess is that somehow the vinegar acts on the dough to "shorten" it like some saturated oils do. Exactly how, I don't know yet, but I'll try to find out... again. Smile
BAKE808

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Vinegar Cookies Reply with quote

Michael, thank you for researching this for me. I've also been look both online and in food science books and haven't really found a complete explanation either. Please do continue the search, I'd really appreciate "knowing" as opposed to "thinking" I have the answer behind the function of this ingredient.
DuxIl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One side effect of including vinegar or lemon juice in your pie crust is that it will effectively prevent browning. Perhaps that would be the main reason, to prevent a crust on a pie requiring longer baking time from browning excessively?

Here's a good reference I found:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/food/pietrouble.html

As for what the vinegar is supposed to do, according to the site below, it apparently relaxes the gluten in the dough, to make it more elastic, springier, etc. This would appear to be in direct contradiction to some of the information posted at the pietrouble page above... oh, what a confused world we live in! Big smile

http://www.gazettenet.com/dining/entstory.cfm?id_no=11140034
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum