Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Pan Fried Fish Fillets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
is it good to use clarified butter for pan frying or when you saute' fish?

Sure, clarified butter is an excellent fat to pan fry fish in.
ORVET

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: FRIED FISH Reply with quote

Frying fish in an iron skillet works best for me.
My question is, when cooking a large quantity of fish, how do you keep
it hot and crisp until you are ready to serve it all?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: FRIED FISH Reply with quote

ORVET wrote:
My question is, when cooking a large quantity of fish, how do you keep it hot and crisp until you are ready to serve it all?

I suggest keeping it in the oven at the lowest setting (200°F or less) to keep it warm and crispy.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: FRIED FISH Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
ORVET wrote:
My question is, when cooking a large quantity of fish, how do you keep it hot and crisp until you are ready to serve it all?

I suggest keeping it in the oven at the lowest setting (200°F or less) to keep it warm and crispy.

... and place the fish on a rack over a cookie-sheet or foil, and put the fish rack on an oven sahelf that is above the mid-point of the oven. you want lots of air circulation around the fish, and just warm enough to keep it from cooking more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a bit cheap but it works great for me.... I use an inverted paper plate over the fish while cooking. It blocks most of the splatter while allowing most of the excess moisture to escape.
Dolcevita

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Tips for crispy fish? Reply with quote

Michael,
I love pan-fried fish, especially if done right (crispy outside, flaky inside). However, the last few times I've done it, I'd get it crispy and when I go to serve the fillets a few moments later, the crust has turned soggy. What gives? I usually use tilapia, patted dry, sprinkled with salt/pepper/garlic powder, dredge in beaten egg, then dredged in regular flour. I fry in nonstick skillet with 1/4 inch or more of canola oil. I don't move the fillets while cooking, don't put a lid on. In your blog, you don't use flour but yet still get crispy fish? Any tips? Thanks! Great site!
Peter_Shortstack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Differences in Colour With Pans Reply with quote

I suspect the different in colours of the fish is related to the non-stick pan being black. Now, I haven't done any testing with temperatures/temperature changes for nonstick and traditional pans, but I do know cooking times are different for the two (even for baking with non stick/traditional cookie sheets).
Crimazine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Awesome recipe Reply with quote

Hello, I just wanted to say this recipe is excellent! I am a 25yr old web programmer with little cooking skills and using this recipe, my peice of Salmon came out great!

Cheers!
Ken Fischer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Brining fish ? Reply with quote

Although i love fried fish, I've found that some fish if fried using minimal seasoning tastes well .. too fishy on the insides.

I have seen plenty of chicken recipes on the site which uses brining to give some flavor to the chicken. So barring marinades, has anyone ever tried brining their fish ?
Brave new cook

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: A fishy start for me... Reply with quote

Shock
Came across this forum because I've just bought uncooked salmon for the first time in my life and I am hoping to pan fry it. I am very scared of splattering oil and was intending to wear my mittens for added protection!! I like the idea given regarding coating the fish with a thin layer of oil and then putting it onto the non-stick pan without any further oil added on the pan. I hope this elminates the splatter - am I too optimistic to say it won't splatter at all? Here's hoping I come thru OK...
justin case

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Pan-fried fish: stainless vs. nonstick Reply with quote

I make several fish recipes that use this technique, and tend to get good results with both my stainless and nonstick skillets. But, I prefer the stainless for overall color and appearance, plus it makes for better browned bits if subsequently making a sauce. To keep the fish from sticking in the stainless pan, I get the pan and oil hot (med-high) first, add the fish, and give the pan a quick wiggle after all of the filets have been added. I'm guessing that this allows the surface of the fish to cook a little, and then permits a little extra oil to get underneath. After that, the fish can be left to do its thing until ready to flip, at which time the process gets repeated. Perhaps this no longer counts as pan-frying, but I could care less. The results are delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Splatter Guard Reply with quote

I got my slatter guard at a local 99 cent store for, you guessed it....99 cents. Works great!
sleonhardt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: pan fried fish Reply with quote

I just took a cooking class and we made pan fried catfish fillets in a "traditional" skillet. Our instructor insisted that if you cooked the fillets long enough that the fish would flip right over...and they did.
The key was keeping the oil at the right temp. It dropped when you put new fish in.
I can't wait to try it again. It was with bacon grease and canola oil and we topped the finished fish with bacon bits (real), fried parsley and lemon.
Steph
jenn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael!

I have a few questions about this recipe (and seafood cooking techniques, in general)...

- What is the reason for placing fish either skin-side down or up?
- Should the fillet only be flipped once?
- Do you determine doneness using an internal meat thermometer or just by appearance?
- How do you choose a cooking method for different types of fish?

Thanks so much for this website. I am def not an engineer but I love that your methods are so simple and straightforward! I am a complete novice in the kitchen (first apartment!) and a microwave-chef extraordinare but your recipes and techniques and informative guides have encouraged me to branch out and try new things.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenn wrote:
- What is the reason for placing fish either skin-side down or up?
- Should the fillet only be flipped once?
- Do you determine doneness using an internal meat thermometer or just by appearance?
- How do you choose a cooking method for different types of fish?

There's are no easy answers to these questions. In the case of this particular article - I think I misfiled it under Recipe File when it should be Test Recipes. It is clearly a documentation of a particular attempt at pan frying fish and not a definitive recipe. Sorry about that. I'll move it to the correct category in a few days.

The skin side up or down doesn't make a difference except for timing. Crispy skin will usually require it to be the last step when preparing pan fried fish because if the skin side was cooked first then it could lose crispiness as it absorbed moisture while the other side was cooking.

Usually fillets are flipped only once to preserve the integrity of the fish. Some recipes call for double flipping - especially when glazing is involved.

For fish, I usually go by appearance and how the meat flakes (or in the case of salmon - is about to flake but hasn't yet)

Cooking technique for specific fish - I don't know... usually I choose by whatever sounds like a good idea at the time. It doesn't hurt to experiment, so go wild!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: