Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes a seasoned carbon steel wok nonstick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muncake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: What makes a seasoned carbon steel wok nonstick? Reply with quote

I have searched hard on the internet but cannot find the answer to a question that has baffled me for some time. I hope that may be one of you may know the answer. How is a seasoned wok nonstick? I know there is probably a chemistry based explanation to this and that is what I am trying to find out.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you've seen/read the "how to season" blurbs - you lightly coat the very hot pan/wok with an organic oil or fat.

being organic, the oil / fat is, at it basic level, carbon compounds. the heating drives off the volatile components leaving a thin layer of (nearly pure) carbon - often called a patina - which is the original "non-stick" surface.

same theory applies to cast iron pans -

although vegetable oils can be used, many people prefer to use a animal fat - notably lard or bacon fat. I strong recommend not using anything like an "aerosol non-stick spray" - these frequently contain other compounds which do not burn off easily and can create a sticky layer (even on Teflon coated pans!)
muncake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean that it is the carbon layer that repels other substances thereby making the pan nonstick?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muncake wrote:
Does that mean that it is the carbon layer that repels other substances thereby making the pan nonstick?

in a simplified nutshell, yes.

"repels" may be a slight over-statement.

again, in an over-simplified statement, when you put "something" in a hot pan, water solutions come out of the meat/eggs/whatever - these aqueous liquids mix with (surface) exuded proteins - which becomes the "goop" that glues aka "sticks" things to the pan.

obviously you can't do anything about "'and 'zactly what is coming out of my fish fillet" - but you can affect "and on what surface it is attempting to glue itself"

a (pure / nearly pure) carbon film / patina does not offer a "highly stickably" surface - and it only has to be a few molecules thick.

"repels" is different from "offers no toe hold to stick to" so to speak, hence my previous caution about "terms"

well seasoned cast iron and carbon steel pans are the pre-Teflon non-stick entities. successful crepes, omelets, eggs over easy, etc., existed way prior to Teflon - so one can debate whether properly seasoned carbon steel / cast iron is [to some degree] "better] or "less better" than Teflon and its generics, but it is a discussion of 'degrees' - not 'absolutes'

I use Teflon/PTFE coated pans where appropriate. I also have three generation passed-down cast iron skillets with 1? mebbe 3 mm thick "carbonized stuff coatings" on them. I can flip an egg in them dang sight as easy at the best PTFE pan - but regrets they don't have the same corner / chine geometry as the "new fangled fry pans" - so deduct some points for "need big spatula"

hmm, actually, flipping _anything_ in a cast iron pan is more wrist exercise than in aluminum+Teflon.....
muncake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a (pure / nearly pure) carbon film / patina does not offer a "highly stickably" surface - and it only has to be a few molecules thick.

Thank you Dilbert. I like the"stickably" theory which seems to perfectly answer my question. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum