Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp. variance center to edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Temp. variance center to edge Reply with quote

I have a Martha Stewart 7qt cast iron/enamel which shows a difference of 75-100 degrees F. even after 6 minutes heating over a medium setting. There is always a thin layer of oil in the pan while heating. Is such a temp. variance normal or a defect in the manufacture. I need high temperature to sear prior to braising.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guesstimate that heat graduation is fairly "normal"

cast iron is great at 'holding' heat, but 'conducting' heat is another matter - applying high heat, you would expect to see higher temps at the heat source - dropping as you move away.

the other thought is: six minutes is not a lot of time for the entire pot to soak up the heat evenly. theory holds you could get the whole pot hot, then reduce the heat input so the heat input is pretty much "in balance" with the heat loss. at that 'equilibrium' point you should see the minimum amount of variation. of course, as soon as you put something in the pot that begins to soak up the heat energy, the balance is upset.

all that said, if you apply heat energy to an area faster than it is conducted away, you get a hot spot.... regardless of material.
vootygaga

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the differences between 3G and EDGE? Ok, i am really good with technology, but what i don't 100% understand is the difference between EDGE and 3G. I for one, know that 3G is a lot faster than EDGE, but is there any other differences besides speed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum