Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ovens: carbon footprint/energy consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiseS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: ovens: carbon footprint/energy consumption Reply with quote

My husband thinks our small electric (60 Hz, 1500 watt) convection/toaster oven is evil. He thinks I should toss it and only use our conventional gas oven when the microwave is inappropriate. If someone can quantify the difference between baking something like a single loaf of pound cake in these types of ovens, I will discard the convection/toaster oven if it has a bigger carbon footprint and/or higher energy cost. Forgive me if this is a frequently asked question. I am a newbie.
valtice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: carbon foot print Reply with quote

Surely using a large oven will use more energy than a small oven. It will take longer to heat up and loose more energy through sheer surface area.

As for electricity versus gas, how is the electricity generated? If it's a fuel fired or neucleonic power station then I can't see any arguments for or against.

Until the hessian wearing hippies come up with a solar powered oven that will cook my pizza in 8 minutes on a cloudy day in February, I'm sticking to my 3 KW electric convection monster.
mdgates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick test: close the kitchen doors and see which one heats up the room more. I bet it's the gas oven by far. Combustion appliances need air flow, while the electric toaster oven, though poorly insulated, loses heat only through its walls, and it has a small surface area to boot.

Electricity is 2-3 times more expensive than gas, but still, I bet the difference between the two ovens is on that order.

My gas oven is evil, and I do much more baking in the winter than the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Engineer Speak All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum