Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cassoulet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: cassoulet Reply with quote

Hen House Cassoulet

Cassoulet, in my simple terms, is a vegetable ladened, white bean casserole with really tasty chunks of meat. Recipes abound, in my travels I find it's essentially four or five tons of pork fat (or duck...) strung together with vegetables.
I love baked beans, but prefer a 'non tomato base' white bean dish for a refreshing change.

So I set out to trim the fat, so to speak.

Ingredients (feeds 4):
1/2 pound pork sausage - link style, cut into bite size chunks
one whole chicken - about a 4 pounder
- cut up: legs, breast, wings (remove tips)
- cut out the backbone, keel bone and small rib bones from the breast chunks
- do not remove the skin from any of the chicken
1-1/2 cup white beans; I prefer Great Northern, I think the size works well for texture
1 cup sliced yellow onion or scallion or mixed
1 cup sliced leek, including firm green
1 cup small chop celery
3 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, large chop
2-3 smashed & chopped garlic cloves
seasonings - salt, pepper, delay other seasoning until the dish is more done

Getting There from Here:
soak the beans in a generous amount of cold water 3-4 hours, then
in a heavy pan, brown the sausage - some dark brown coloring is good
remove sausage, pour off excess fat, brown/caramelize the onion
- use additional olive/vegetable oil as needed, salt & pepper lightly
add celery and carrots and continue cooking 15-20 minutes; add water to make a bit of steam
add garlic
drain the beans, add the beans to the pot
add some water - about half the depth of the stuff in the pot, cover, let simmer very gently.

while that is simmering, in a heavy pot get about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil smoking hot - really hot
brown the chicken pieces 3-4 minutes per side
nestle the chicken pieces in the bean/vegetable mix
add water, alternately half white wine / half water, to just cover
continue a gentle simmer for 2-3 hours
CHECK the liquid level as it cooks
- the beans will absorb water; add water to maintain a loose mixture
About an hour into the simmer, add seasoning:
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- cayenne pepper to your own tastes
- re-taste for salt.

The Trick:
Two of them, actually.

(1) pick your sausage well. it needs to have good flavor that will carry through the dish. my first attempt was a mild mannered breakfast link sausage - not recommended. the big long curls of italian style sausage are good; I use sweet, but 'hot' is an option if you like it. since I don't need fifty feet of sausage, I buy a chunk at my butcher. I've tried a number of dried / cured sausages and find they become hard chewy 'what's this?' chunks in the end dish - a 'fresh' sausage is a better approach in my experience.

(2) close your eyes and get the chicken browning oil blazing hot. the theory is to get crispy skin with a bloody red raw interior. do not overload the pot; have a spatter shield / lid at the ready - lacking that this operation will coat everything within three feet with spattered oil / vapor. I prefer to do this in a sauce pan to minimize spatter.

The "I Don't Do Skin Issue"
the chicken skin will "self peel" when the dish is done / during service - but that crispy skin adds a lot of flavor to the dish. I most insistently insist you keep the skin on and crisp it as outlined. if you've got a no skinner, don't tell them - just let the skin slip off as you pull the morsels out of the pot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum