Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your favourite pie - Savoury or Sweet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pie_Designs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Your favourite pie - Savoury or Sweet Reply with quote

Here in SA, a "pie" is generally considered to be a Savoury delight, but I know in other countries it refers to sweet treats as well.

I would like to know what your favourite pie is.....savoury or sweet......which flavour has you drooling for more....and whether you generally make your own pies or buy them.

For me, my favourite savoury pie is Mutton Curry and my sweet treat would be anything with caramel or banana!

Feel free to post your favourite recipes here too.

Thanks
foreverhobbes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like sweet pies the best, but savory can be good too. My favorites are apple, peach, and blackberry.
Jaheab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't eat many sweet pies but when I do it is almost always blueberry. My great-uncle grew them and my grand mother would almost always make a pie when my family went to visit.

I made a blueberry and pear pie from Good Eats for a family Christmas and that was a great combination.

In Michigan (US) where I live savory pies called pasties are quiet popular, especially in the areas originally settled by Finns & Pols. The dough is unleavened-wheat flour-pretty dense-with a large crumb. The fillings can vary but the most popular is beef (usually chuck roast), potato and a thick gravy. I find that combination to be too heavy and dull.

I like making mine with beef, fresh chili, white beans and a light tomato sauce. My grandmother used to make them with chicken, carrots, string beans and asparagus. I liked those a lot too.
simrnz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite pie is made with Bananas Smile

here it goes:
ingredients:
1 9 inch Baked pie crust. 1 teaspoon Splenda
1 large bananas Or 2 small, peeled 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 package plain gelatin 3/4 cup Ice cubes
1 cup Water 3/4 cup Low fat ricotta cheese
1 pk vanilla pudding - sugar free instant 1/2 cup Sugar free chocolate - melted

Recipe:
Put gelatin in blender with 2 tablespoons water. Heat remaining water to boiling and pour into blender. Blend until mixed well.
Add ice cubes, pudding mix and ricotta cheese, blend until smooth and well mixed.
Mix Splenda and cinnamon together, set aside
Place first layer of bananas in pie crust, sprinkle with 1/2 cinnamon/ Splenda mixture. Pour 1/2 pudding mixture into pie. Repeat process: bananas, Splenda and remaining pudding.

Chill 2 hours before serving. Garnish with sliced bananas dipped in melted chocolate.
Add mint leaves immediately before serving, if available.
claire909

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice recipe . Can we replace banana with other fruit also in that like strawberry or orange etc.
Smile
Pie_Designs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Banana's! Will definitely be trying this one! Have guests on Sunday, and I'll make them all this! Thanks for posting it.

Good question about replacing the fruit! I'd love to try strawberry - can it be done - with what adjustments?
jkarle1106

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up eating a French Canadian savory pie called a Tortiere. Our family made them around Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's made with beef and some pork, seasoned with cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. The crust is pretty much a standard flour, fat (beef suet), water pie crust. I still make it for the holidays. For breakfast with a couple of fried eggs on top, my mouth waters when I think of it! Now, for sweet pie, I go with apple every time. I like an assortment of whatever apples are in season, and I like the crust made with a touch of sugar, shortening/butter and apple jack instead of water. I make an exception to my apple preference if I can get to go wild blueberry picking in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
srhcb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother learned from my father's mother how to make his favorite Pork Pie, which we called Pork Pastie even though it was baked in a pie dish.

The filling was simply carefully trimmed and cubed pork, onions, salt and pepper. The critical component was the crust, which had to be made with lard.

My grandmother and mother are both gone now, and I'm sorry I never learned the tricks to making this, or their traditional pasties. Sad
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time my cousin got something from a vacation. It was a pie that contains herbs and spices. It's delicious and I am looking for the recipe on that one. Well on my opinion I love apple pie and banana.
Inkathebadger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite pie is pumpkin pie (thank goodness for Thanksgiving! Omnom!). But the thing is I only like it prepared a certain way. It can't be too sweet or it ruins it. Pumpkin pie is a weird balance of savory and sweet. Only problem is I don't have a good pumpkin pie recipe and usually break my making it from scratch rule and end up buying it. I whip the cream at least. Big smile
I love making pies and quiche with my leftovers, every few weeks or months I empty the freezer of all the odds and ends and scrapings from the bottom of the pots and throw em in a pie. Actually just finished making the shells for my next batch right now and the plan I got laid out in my head is one pork pie(with maybe some squash or beets in with it), one creme of chicken with rice and/or brocolli, and one apple oatmeal. I still got plenty of odds and ends to make use of though but I only got three pie plates ATM. I tried collecting my cooking fat for my pies but my folks came over and threw 'em out. I'm such a hoarder hee.
rachard1583

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: I love both! Reply with quote

I like sweet pies the best, but savory can be good too. My favorites are apple, peach, and blackberry. My sweet treat would be anything with Apples and Blueberry.
Kathleen H.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say my favorite pie is pumpkin, and although I adore it store-bought (probably because it's so rare, and getting it any way I can = a good day), I absolutely adore it home-cooked. It's certainly better home cooked, but then again isn't any pie?

For my fellow pumpkin pie fans out there, would you not agree that, although some bakeries and restaurants do pumpkin pie surprisingly well, a lot of the time store-bought or bakery-bought pumpkin pie tends to be hard and not as sweet?

Apple pie's another great example of this.
Symonds

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey simrnz i really like this recipe. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It is new kind of recipe for me. I also love to eat sweet pie and i always prefer it.
pumaking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

savory takes the cake. I hate when stores make pies so sweet. It is the flavors that really what it's all about. what's the point of apple pie when it's so sweet I can't taste the apple? Shock Savory all the way
smithsleonardo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savoury and sweet. Only problem is I don't have a good pumpkin pie recipe and usually break my making it from scratch rule and end up buying it. I whip the cream at least. Big smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum