Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking on fire?...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beemerchef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Cooking on fire?... Reply with quote

I like cooking forums, after 40 years I should! I also like Photography and so here I am... Photos? I like Micheal's recipes with so many pictures... Visual is good...
So my Dog Spirit and I live a bit differently now after 40 years as a Chef, Swiss trained and yet only assuming the position of a gloryfied cook being self employed (Thank God!) all my Life. Now we are homeless... by choice truly, photography having turned into a passion. We live in a tent 6 months + per year, but as I am getting older winter sees us near Big Bend, Texas, about 60 miles south of Alpine. A piece of land, a real shelter off the grid... solar oven too by the way coming up in any intersted... always the motorcycle with the sidecar for Spirit and now... we are, well I am, cooking with fire! Very exciting... cooks all day and by now I am so sick of stews that I don't want to see another tomato...
I was looking at the Osso Bucco recipe... that can be done.
If anyone wants to add some ideas they will be welcomed and done! with photos too...
You can see my set up on my site
http://theoasisofmysoul.com/
You can check the archives for other recipes I have done... The site is about everything we do, just thought I would mention it... not just FOOD!
Be well... seems like a comfy place to be here.
Ara & Spirit

Oh! This is Spirit... but he does not help.

SomeBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooking on fire?... Reply with quote

beemerchef wrote:
I like cooking forums, after 40 years I should! I also like Photography and so here I am... Photos? I like Micheal's recipes with so many pictures... Visual is good...
So my Dog Spirit and I live a bit differently now after 40 years as a Chef, Swiss trained and yet only assuming the position of a gloryfied cook being self employed (Thank God!) all my Life. Now we are homeless... by choice truly, photography having turned into a passion. We live in a tent 6 months + per year, but as I am getting older winter sees us near Big Bend, Texas, about 60 miles south of Alpine. A piece of land, a real shelter off the grid... solar oven too by the way coming up in any intersted... always the motorcycle with the sidecar for Spirit and now... we are, well I am, cooking with fire! Very exciting... cooks all day and by now I am so sick of stews that I don't want to see another tomato...
I was looking at the Osso Bucco recipe... that can be done.
If anyone wants to add some ideas they will be welcomed and done! with photos too...
You can see my set up on my site
http://theoasisofmysoul.com/
You can check the archives for other recipes I have done... The site is about everything we do, just thought I would mention it... not just FOOD!
Be well... seems like a comfy place to be here.
Ara & Spirit

Oh! This is Spirit... but he does not help.

Your story is really interesting but I wouldn't want to be in your place ... I can't even imagine how is to be homeless. Sad
beemerchef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about this thread!!! Today it showed up as someone had looked at it!
We are still on the road, over 5 years now and it is just beautiful being homeless... But you know, we are never homeless, we do not have 4 walls but we always have a home where we stand. Been cooking a lot, even opened a "one-pan recipe" e-store and using much when we can a solar oven here in southern Texas were we are camped right now...
Will get back soon and post some food photos...
Be well... Ara and Spirit
ricebeans87

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: the best Reply with quote

Cooking on fire is the best! Everything tastes better and itīs so natural, real, original!

I LIKE
Diane B.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly new so this thread just popped up for me. One advantage was being able to hear you're still doing well after five years.

I feel an affinity for your travels and style though mine were a bit different. I've always had a McGyver mindset though and know/learned how to spend the least $ possible to be able to continue.

For my "homeless" times, I lived in an old van I basically built (the inside of)** and traveled all around the U.S. Mostly stayed in "free" places but once a week hit a campground to wash hair, etc.
For two other years before that, I had backpacked around Europe and a bit more, mostly paying for accommodations but really cheap (budget for the first year was $3.50/day all inclusive, which climbed to $5.00/day after I worked a year on an army base--early 70's).

Couldn't afford photography on the first trip, but around the States I took probably close to 1000 pics (slides, back in the day) then sent home along with recorded cassette tapes to let family see where I was.

My travels may have been for somewhat different reasons than yours but were also by choice and on purpose. Wanted to see the world outside my bubble to understand everything and also to have fodder for deciding what I really wanted to choose in my go-around. Along the way I saw fantastic things too... more museums than I could ever remember, plants/animals/weather/scenery that were not only aesthetically wonderful but interesting and immediate (...one of my favorite memories was the toilet time I had in the Sonoran desert in an old shack-y outhouse during a pouring thunderstorm--door open to the view, fantastic).

Hmmm, you seem to have stirred up a lot of my memories!

**for a few pics of the inside, look here (mid-page, 3 photos):
http://dianeblack.blogspot.com

Diane B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum