Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: GelPro Mat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mats Reply with quote

Suzette wrote:
We bought a GelPro mat a little over a year ago. Oh boy, it was great when we first got it. However, eventually the edges start to curl up, and now ours is full of little holes and slits. There are only 2 in our household. I cannot stand on it in bare feet or I get little cuts. Somehow I think if you buy an "industrial" mat for a hundred bucks -- and you do not happen to be a "commercial" kitchen -- the darned thing should last almost forever. I'm pretty disgusted and disappointed!

When did the slits/holes appear? If it was within the first year, then you could have exchanged it under their 1 year warranty. Of course, now it's probably too late - but it doesn't hurt to ask them I suppose... Their number is 1-866-435-6287
Suzette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Mats ... goin' bad Reply with quote

Quote:
When did the slits/holes appear? If it was within the first year, then you could have exchanged it under their 1 year warranty. Of course, now it's probably too late - but it doesn't hurt to ask them I suppose

It began to curl up on the edges during the year's warranty (but this was not considered to be any kind of defect) -- and I'd say the HOLES appeared about 6 months after the warranty was up. Have talked to the company, and they are not too helpful -- at least not when we called them. We were sort of surprised to find that they had little concern about the mats past the first year. I'd think, given the price, they'd be a little more interested!

The Naked Fork
http://www.thenakedfork.blogspot.com
Cook4Fun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: GelPro Warranty Reply with quote

I had a mat for about a year and the edge started to curl. I called GelPro and they were great about it. They replaced my mat for free. They indicated that some of the older mats would do that, but the newer ones shouldn't have the problem. However, they said that if they did, they'd replace them for free.

I love my gelled mat. I could stand on it for hours.
LH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Gel Prp Mats Reply with quote

I bought one of the large mats and thought it was great. I immediately bought 3 more for my mother, s-i-l, and friend.

And, about 5 months later, in four different households the ends started to curl up, then the edge all around the mat turned up - they became dangerous trip possibilities.

Once a week I would flip mine over and let it sit upside down for a while, but that only helped some. My s-i-l's almost completely dissolved.

I called Gel-Pro and they said I was past the year warranty (by about a month) and that they would give me 10% off on a new mat.

So, I flip mine over and over and use it up side down sometimes, my s-i-l's has been trashed, and my mother's is taped to the floor.

No more Gel Pro.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to a wholesale restaurant supply store and you can get large restaurant mats on the order of $20-30 ea
Guest Linda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Shoes for the house and cooking Reply with quote

Get a pair of birkinstocks to wear inside the house, including your kitchen. I had back and hip problems, and a heel spur, and finally bought a pair as an experiment. They are too ugly to wear outside of the house, but they are super comfortable.

I believe they cured the heel spur completely, after wearing them for awhile. They give incredible support to your back, legs, and hips because of how they support your feet and body. They look uncomfortable, but actually become very comfortable. THey are also cool, as they are open sandals. They are better than going barefoot. Going barefoot is actually not the best for your back and feet. You start having bad posture, which in turn affects your back posture, getting it out of alignment and causing huge problems. Birkinstocks keep your spine more in alignment.

They also give your feet exercise as you walk around in them, because of their construction and how you grip with your toes to walk in them.

I have one ugly pair that I have had for several years now. They don't wear out, and as I said I only wear them inside the house.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: GelPro mats at Costco for $70 Reply with quote

Currently, Costco warehouse stores (in SLC, UT, at least) have GelPro Cordoba mats in truffle and sable for $70.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: GelPro mats at Costco for $70 Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Currently, Costco warehouse stores (in SLC, UT, at least) have GelPro Cordoba mats in truffle and sable for $70.

As an added note, I believe the mats sold at Costco are a little smaller in dimension than the one I reviewed.
MessyVirgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: GelPro Mats Reply with quote

We've had our mats since Christmas 2009. That's all we requested from our kids. We've got a 24"x36" one in front of the stove and a 24"x72" that extends from where the other one leaves off under the counter to the wall (in front of the sink), resulting in an L-shape. I am very overweight, and though I wear shoes when I cook, the mats are necessary to provide relief from pain after long cooking-and-cleaning episodes.
We've not had any cutting or curling; they clean easily; but without a textile rug in front of the sink (over the mat), water drops land and track through the kitchen.
However, at this time, we love our mats.

Rosemary
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Crocs vs mats Reply with quote Delete this post

Working in professional kitchens I have come to love Crocs for inexpensive foot support and protection in the kitchen. I have a pair at home for use specifically in the kitchen - these are not "outside shoes", but considered more like slippers and live in the kitchen. For $40CDN these have been simply perfect in every way. There is a model designed for chefs, with closed toes, sides, and heels that I use and highly recommend.

If you have more money to spare, I also hear great things of Birkenstocks from co-chefs.

If you have even more money, or simply must cook in socks or barefoot, then these gel pads sound good. Personally I feel they make a kitchen more dangerous due to changing floor surfaces increasing the potential for a slip when you step a socked foot onto a slippery floor.

Thanks for such a nice website, I've been reading here for a long long time. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: