Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Gravlax
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Gravlax experience Reply with quote

I've followed this recipe twice now, using a food sealer both times. The first time it came out a bit peppery; possibly I mis-measured. The second time I cut the pepper in half and replaced the rest with caraway and it came out great. I used kosher salt and raw sugar both times, as I like the added flavor. There was very little liquid when I opened it, but almost all of the salt and sugar were dissolved and the dill was soaked, so that's where it went. I don't know how anybody else eats it, but we serve it the way we'd serve lox; with bagels and cream cheese.
TusharNijWij

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Beetroot Gravlax Reply with quote

I love this recipe. We made something similar and made it with Beetroot. Very delicious and the colour is incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAm6x6R8V4o
FlyCreek Minimalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Gravlax by Chu Reply with quote

This is a late post. Have used the original recipe for 2yrs. Now I buy Sockeye Filets ~1lb frozen & bagged direct from the Super. Put in freezer until needed. Take from freezer; open bag; take out filet; cover with your own prepackaged dill from squeeze tube; liquid smoke as desired; your own salt/sugar/pepper mix. Use washed index finger to spread. Put back in the original freezer bag. Seal with Foodsaver or other heat sealer, but squeeze out air. Skin side up for 8 hr, with weight, to thaw time. Fridge for 48 hr or more. Can flip as desired. Make sure filet is oriented N/S. (This is a Feng Shui addendum) Cut open bag. Rinse in cold water while in bag. Remove from bag. Dry in fridge for 6-8 hr, uncovered, perhaps on grid. Serve as desired. This is a NO MESS prep.
And thanks to Chu. Sanitary. All you have to do is wash that index finger.
Wendello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Gravlax Reply with quote Delete this post

I've been making gravlax for years as salmon is plentiful in the Seattle area. My best product so far uses cilantro instead if dill. I've found that by adding a couple of tablespoons of lapsang souchong tea leaves (available from any good tea merchant) the finished product will have a lightly smoked flavor because the lapsang souchong tea leaves are smoked during drying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: