Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Gravlax
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raymond in Bangkok

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Beating the salt Reply with quote

I have been struggling with the salt - sugar balance for a long time, but I think I might have found a good solution. What I am doing now is mixing 1/2 cup salt with 1/2 cup sugar and putting it into a zip-lock bag. For my needs, I use skinless fillets and cut them into about 8 ounce pieces. I put the fillet into the bag and shake it for a few seconds. After, I will let it stand for about 5 minutes to allow the salt and sugar to start the curing process. Lastly, I will remove the fillet and shake off the extra mixture and place it onto a bed of dill wrapped by plastic wrap or cheese cloth. What I have discovered is that the fillet acquires sufficient curing agent and it is neither salty or sweet. I have been making gravlax for nearly 20 years and this is the best result I have tasted yet.
CamMan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Gravlax Temp Reply with quote

The Alaska Epidemiology article referenced in the comments states that
-10C (14F) for 72 hours will do the trick, not -10F (-23C) for at least 7 days as stated in the gravlax recipe. Why the difference?

If this works for raw salmon, wouldn't it work for any meat, even chicken?

Thanks, CamMan
Fishmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezing will kill parasites, but not bacteria - which is the concern with meat and poultry.

If you are freezing fish in a home freezer, it's going to take longer than it would in a colder, more efficient commercial freezer. Both the FDA and EU have guidelines for freezing fish and of course they don't agree with each other. It's interesting that the Alaska office of Epidemiology doesn't go with the FDA guidelines.

FDA
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/haccp4e.html
EU
http://tinyurl.com/6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: More about wild vs fresh Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I read an article not long ago where a reporter in New York bought supposedly "wild" salmon from a number of reputable fish dealers, yet when they were tested for dye (farmed fish are actually dyed orange - yech!) nearly all of them were positive for the dye.

Farmed salmon are given the carotenoids canthaxanthin and astaxanthin along with their feed. Wild salmon naturally get these same pigments from their diet (e.g. shellfish). So I would assume all salmon, wild or not, would test positive for this "dye".
Jean

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: gravlax Reply with quote

I made gravlax by similar recipe but there was no info on how long it will safely keep after curing. Is it similar to deli meat as far as how long it will keep in the fridge?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the gravlax has been opened and washed of the salt, I'd try to consume it within 3-4 days. Store in the fridge.
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: A note on salt Reply with quote

There is a reason that the original recipe calls for kosher salt -- kosher salt is coarse. While you can use any kind of salt to make gravlax, you need to consider the coarseness of the salt when deciding how much to use. Kosher salt and sea salt are both coarse. Because of this coarseness, less of the salt will be absorbed by the salmon.

If you use regular table or iodized salt, it is much finer than kosher salt. This means that the salmon will absorb much more of the salt and you will end up with a saltier finished product. The general rule in cooking is that when you substitute a fine salt for a coarse salt, you should use half the amount of fine salt that you would use of coarse salt.

If you are finding that your gravlax is too salty for your taste, look at the salt that you are using. Try using a coarse salt or reducing the amount of fine salt that you use.

Hope this helps you make your gravlax better.
Trang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: I think I ruined mine...HELP! Reply with quote

Michael,

I had salted my salmon filets before I found your site...It had only been a day so then I went and somewhat followed your recipe. I took out the salmon last night (it was time). it is now OVERLY salty...almost to the point of making the salmon hard and not silky. Can I soak it in water for a few days to remove the salt? What else can I do or do I have to toss it and go back to the drawing board?

Thanks.

P.S. I used kosher salt
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I think I ruined mine...HELP! Reply with quote

Trang wrote:
Can I soak it in water for a few days to remove the salt? What else can I do or do I have to toss it and go back to the drawing board?

My expectation is that soaking in water for a long time will not reduce the saltiness enough and will result in undesirable textures. If it's not TOO bad, you can slice the gravlax really thin and serve with mild tasting foods - a piece of bread, some cream cheese, cucumbers, anything to cut down on the saltiness.
Heischman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Gravlax for the Dietetic Reply with quote

Was wondering if honey could be used instead of sugar?
Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Swedish verb "grava, gravad" Reply with quote

Being a Swedish engineer, I am totally impressed by this site and the reader's valuable tips and comments, some of which I will certainly explore in my own cooking. Just one point: although the Swedish substantive "grav" is equivalent to "grave" in English, the verb "grava" means "treat with salt" and not buriedR- there you go!
DC Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: adding smoke after curing Reply with quote

I am curious as to whether it is possible to add smoke to salmon after curing. I do not have a smoker but rather just a normal BBQ grill. With just a small pile of coals and wood chips and by distancing the salmon from heat can I add the smokiness of lox without over cooking or ruining texture? Of course I would freeze after. Any help.
stevewolf31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Dill options Reply with quote

So who's tried just using dried dill when you can't get bushels of it where you live(without spending an arm and a leg)--does that work?
stevewolf31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: What to do Reply with quote

The process you have subjected the swalmon to is a preservative--I'd cautiously taste as you can expect a bad smell if fish is bad--

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: smoking Reply with quote

Regarding the idea of smoking the cured fish: I love it! I'm sure the purists on the post would not agree, but oh well. Maybe you'd need to call it smoked cured salmon so as not to offend.

To address the concern about texture, I'd think you would want to do what is called a "cold smoke" method where you keep the temp down to 100 deg. F or lower, as opposed to the 200-225 range you'd normally shoot for.

To use your charcoal grill and regulate temp, use a quick read meat thermometer. Push it through a cork and put the cork in one of the holes in the lid to secure it. You can leave it there and monitor what's happening without opening the lid and having big fluctuations in temp and smoke. It won't take much fire at all. I wouldn't think the process would take very long either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: