Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dulce de Leche
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That dulce looks terrible, it is looks nothing like real south American (or the best Argentine) dulce.
The real recipe calls for stirring milk (not condensed) and sugar with a little salt and bi-carb with vanilla. You must stir this on yeat for 4-6 hours otherswise you will not get the Millard reaction which making it tasty (and change colour to a nice dark brown).
Please remove the word "dulce de leche" from this abomination.
Larry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: dulc De Leche Reply with quote

Just as a spoiler. I was in my favorite ethnic store and a came upon a can of Dulce De Leche Carmel. I bought and opened and never have to go through the process of cooking Dulce De Leche again. It was very, very thick and had a great caramel flavor.
Buckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: doce de leite Reply with quote Delete this post

The post from anonymous 11/26/08 is the way to go - she (he) knows what she's talking about. Keep it simple, it will be delicious:

On November 26, 2008 at 08:43 PM, an anonymous reader said...
Subject: Ur doin it rong!
You're nuts, your method is FAR more trouble than boiling the can.

1. If you love this stuff, do several cans at once.

2. Don't pierce the cans - they will not explode.

3. Use a big pot with a close-fitting lid, and more than enough water to cover the cans (you can't do this if you pierce them).

4. Sit the cans on a little rack or a crumpled piece of foil so they are not resting on the bottom of the pot. Sitting the can directly on the bottom of the pot lets it get too hot on the bottom; that's probably why yours weren't evenly cooked. Mine are always very uniformly golden

5. Nothing terrible will happen if the water level falls below the tops of the cans. Keep the heat low and check once in a while.

6. 2-3 hours works well for me, depending on how caramel-y I want it.

7. Because the cans haven't been pierced, you can put the surplus cans of dulce de leche back in the cupboard, where they'll keep for months more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: