Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Cookware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookNewb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Best Cookware Reply with quote

Hello all! I am using a single electric burner for cooking in a restaurant. I need to keep a pot always heated with water and white vinegar among other ingredients. The white vinegar seems to be reacting with the aluminum pot. Since I need to get a better pot, i will try to get the best possible. Is there a brand of cookware that is considered the best? The pot is (I am guesstimating) about 8 qts.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no surprises there - vinegar is an acid compound and it will attack aluminum.

go with stainless steel - since it's apparently only for all day water/liquids heating there is no need for any super duper fifty layers of anything.... cheap comes to mind - with good handles.....
CookNewb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying something to start a "collection". I guess its not really necessary. Although I was looking at the Atlantis line of Demeyere cookware and its very, very nice.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........not necessary
well, what is "necessary" is really your own decision <g>

the Demeyere stuff sure looks good - I have no personal experience with that line. I have owned / used a number of the dual / tri / nth ply brands from bargain basement to high end prices. the laminated stuff seems to suffer from de-lamination at some point in its life. eventually I moved to Bourgeat solid copper with stainless interior. Bourgeat pricing is not _that_ far off what I saw for Demeyere but copper does not remain so pretty without a huge amount of pot shining effort. regardless, I have zero comma zilch regrets at investing in solid copper - it is indeed the bestest it getest.
Howard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel'll do ya, and for that application I doubt you'd need any special feature to even out the temperature distribution. Most good cookware does have something like that (core or disc), so in the end you'd probably end up with that.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard wrote:
Stainless steel'll do ya, and for that application I doubt you'd need any special feature to even out the temperature distribution. Most good cookware does have something like that (core or disc), so in the end you'd probably end up with that.

I second that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum