Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Borsch - Traditional Russian beet soop recipe.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edenbayer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Borsch - Traditional Russian beet soop recipe. Reply with quote

Borsch is a traditional Russian soup dating back to the end of 18th century. The main ingredients are red beets and a broth from pork or beef on a bone.

Ingredients:

test
2 Lbs Meat
3 Potatoes, cubed
2 med. beets , grated
2 Carrots, grated
1 Lbs Cabbage, shredded
1 15 oz can Tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Qrts Water
Salt to taste, about 1 Tbsp.

Preparation:

Cook meat in 3 qrts of water. Peel potatoes, cut them in 1 inch cubes. Peel and grate carrots and beets, shred cabbage. When meat almost cooked add potatoes, cook for about 15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until meat and all vegetables cooked.

Serving suggestions:

Serve with sour cream, dark Russian of whole wheat bread. For garlic lovers serve it with clove of garlic.

This and many other Russian Recipes are available on www.mamasrecipes.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: heh Reply with quote

I just discovered the joy of borscht from a friend of mine - she and I are splitting a farmshare, and we got a lot of beets for awhile. I'd actually never had them before! So she made borscht, and I tried it and loved it.

Her borscht was basically a blended beet and onion soup (she liked to put sour cream in it as a finisher), which was tasty, but I've found it's a soup that lends well to playing with (like potato soup), so I made something I called borscht batard.

Beets, chicken stock, onion, garlic, red wine, and something called french fourspice, which has white pepper and nutmeg in it. And plenty of salt. It was also amazing.

Go borscht! Smile
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one needn't get extravagent when making borscht.

I had some shredded cabbage and shredded beets in the fridge and asked a friend in a an off-hand way, what to do? He said Borscht, so I pulled out Joy of Cooking and looked it up.

Then I tossed the book and just did the following:

1 large onion, diced finely, browned in a little olive oil

added:

1 lb shredded, skinned beets (3-4 big ones)
1 lb shredded cabbage (about ˝ a head)

let that simmer a bit and added

1lb skinned, cored and coarsely diced apples

let that simmer a little more and added 1˝ tsp fennel seed (would have used caraway, but I was out...) and some salt.

Pureéd about 2/3rds of it in the Cuisinart, put it back in the pot. Delicious as is, but I then added maybe 2/3rds cup sour cream. Even better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum