Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cleaning a cast iron ridged grill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: cleaning a cast iron ridged grill Reply with quote

Pride SOOO goeth before a fall. I have posted many semi-totalitarian recommendations for how I keep my cast iron skillets, all of them, in pristine condition. But now I've bought a heavy cast iron grill at the supermarket (what a find! $25!) that sits on top of the burners on my ordinary gas stove. Now THIS grease is different! I am not sure how to clean this baby. It is quite marvelous, the ridges about 1/2" apart, makes for a nice charring in one minute preheated to red-. well,probably not white-hot, on a swordfish steak or a beef steak or even a chicken thigh. I don't want to lose the basic seasoning on this wonderful piece of kitchen equipment - and by this, I just mean I don't want the grill to RUST, but what is left on the grill after grilling, say, a marinated chicken thigh or a seasoned rib eye steak presents a conundrum: Should I use dish soap and really hot water and a wire brush? Or just a wire brush and cold water...any methods of cleaning this baby would be appreciated. I do not mind "black" and I believe that preheating this grill before putting a piece of meat on it will kill any possibility of germs, so I'm not concerned with sanitariness. I just want to keep it in perfect working condition and not have it dripping black grease on the cupboard floor. HELP))))) Meekly, thank you.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar grill pan. I wipe it out periodically with a paper towel after cooking as soon as it cools sufficiently. I use it a lot, so it lives in the oven. When I use the oven for something else I just put it on the counter on a couple of paper towels.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a square ridged cast iron pan - new in 1985. not sure it has ever been soap&water cleaned . . . heated, used, wiped out...

the heat from use normally chars any drips on the outside, so unless you are storing it vertical not sure you'll have an issue with grease spots on the shelves. if it is a serious concern, perhaps a silpat under the pan...<?>
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning a cast iron ridged grill Reply with quote

pbone wrote:
Pride SOOO goeth before a fall. I have posted many semi-totalitarian recommendations for how I keep my cast iron skillets, all of them, in pristine condition. But now I've bought a heavy cast iron grill at the supermarket (what a find! $25!) that sits on top of the burners on my ordinary gas stove. Now THIS grease is different! I am not sure how to clean this baby. It is quite marvelous, the ridges about 1/2" apart, makes for a nice charring in one minute preheated to red-. well,probably not white-hot, on a swordfish steak or a beef steak or even a chicken thigh. I don't want to lose the basic seasoning on this wonderful piece of kitchen equipment - and by this, I just mean I don't want the grill to RUST, but what is left on the grill after grilling, say, a marinated chicken thigh or a seasoned rib eye steak presents a conundrum: Should I use dish soap and really hot water and a wire brush? Or just a wire brush and cold water...any methods of cleaning this baby would be appreciated. I do not mind "black" and I believe that preheating this grill before putting a piece of meat on it will kill any possibility of germs, so I'm not concerned with sanitariness. I just want to keep it in perfect working condition and not have it dripping black grease on the cupboard floor. HELP))))) Meekly, thank you.

Oh man, I just love mine. I've got one of those old wedgewood ranges that has the chrome griddle in the center. Remove chrome one and lay in the dual burner cast iron, a match made in heaven.

Those ridges can really garner some serious hanger oners, especially after some marinade that has some sugar in it. I set it in the sink with one of the handled sides resting on the edge of the sink so it's resting at maybe a 40 some odd degree angle. Start the hot water running, let it cascade down the pan, through the ridges for a few minutes. Let it rest for 5 minutes, do it again and start with a stiff, plastic bristle brush until clean and goober free. If there are some stubborn ones, use a wooden chopstick to break it free.

Biggles
pbone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: cleaning a ridged cast iron grill Reply with quote

Thank you all! Yes, I often put powdered sugar on steak to creat a burnt crust, and that was indeed sticking in chunks between the ridges))) I used a screwdriver... This is a wonderful thing, however. I've cooked swordfish steak, beefsteak, even flattened chicken breasts on it, and I've been able to achieve that highly desireable black pattern of lines. Think I will try doing some veggies on it, too, like zucchini. or eggplant. Again, many thanks. I'm gonna go the wipe out when cool route, except for special messes. And it will live in the oven! What a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum