Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kitchen Notes: Brining
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benzer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: freezing after brining Reply with quote

has anyone frozen meats for later cooking after brining them?
if so, how were the results?
Tucson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Brined vs cured Reply with quote

what is the differnce in procedure and chemistry between a brined meat and a cured meat i.e. corned beef?
Steamy Kitchen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Salt Curing Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on brining. I've got a theory I'd like you to look at re: 1 hour salt curing of steaks.

I don't brine steaks, but I salt-cure them for 1 hour per inch. It works superbly, but I've been trying to figure out why.

Thoughts?

http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/08/28/how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks/
Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Brining Kosher meat Reply with quote

Kosher meat is heavily salted to leech out the liquid (blood) in meat. The result is a much drier-looking piece of meat. (I've never tasted the non-kosher kind, so I have only looks to go by). Even though the salt has been rinsed off the outside, it can have a somewhat salty taste.

Question: Would brining add juiciness to kosher meat, which already has salt in it? If so, should the salt concentration in the water be reduced? enlarged? For that matter, could soaking with plain water be used to draw out some of the remaining salt in the meat?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brining Kosher meat Reply with quote

Nathan wrote:
Question: Would brining add juiciness to kosher meat, which already has salt in it? If so, should the salt concentration in the water be reduced? enlarged? For that matter, could soaking with plain water be used to draw out some of the remaining salt in the meat?

That's a good question - generally it's not advisable to brine kosher meats since you'll increase the salt concentration (the salt water would be higher concentration than the salt concentration in the meat). Soaking in pure water (or very lightly salted water) might help - but I really can't say if the water will be drawn into the meat. My guess is yes.
chefswartz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: brining Reply with quote

when i make a brine i reduce the amount of water by half infuse with my aromatics by sauteeing 1st then boiling the heck out of it. Then I add the other half of water in the form of ice. This give me my flavor infusion without worrying me about Time/Temperature abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Brine for a large turkey Reply with quote

I am assuming that the formula for a brine has nothing to do with the size of turkey, it has everything to do with the ratio of salt to water, if this is correct then I just need to figure out how much liquid it will take to cover this 25 pound turkey then apply the 1 cup of Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water formula. Is this correct? If not please correct my thinking. Thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brine for a large turkey Reply with quote

guest wrote:
I am assuming that the formula for a brine has nothing to do with the size of turkey, it has everything to do with the ratio of salt to water, if this is correct then I just need to figure out how much liquid it will take to cover this 25 pound turkey then apply the 1 cup of Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water formula. Is this correct?

That is correct.
May Fran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Brining a turkey Reply with quote

How do you determine how much brine is needed for a turkey? Mine will be on the small side, probably around 14 pounds.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mix up enough to completely immerse the bird in the pot.
ray rpn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: turkey brining bags Reply with quote

has any one used turkey brining bags? Does one have to turn the turkey more often when using a turkey brining bag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Brining turkey Reply with quote

So what would happen if we soaked a brined & rinsed turkey in distilled water? Would the increased salt level in the turkey cells suck in the distilled water via osmosis until we have the juicyest turkey in the history of mankind?
wilson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: brining or marinade, or both for rotisserie chicken Reply with quote

can you add typical brining solution with your marinade(white wine base). my white wine marinade with cumin, garlic, pepper, etc does not add moisture. Correct? only flavor. sometime chicken seem rubbery but taste really good. would you suggest combining both mixtures? I marinade my chicken for up to 3 days. Could I do it with combo?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: brining or marinade, or both for rotisserie chicken Reply with quote

wilson wrote:
can you add typical brining solution with your marinade(white wine base). my white wine marinade with cumin, garlic, pepper, etc does not add moisture. Correct? only flavor. sometime chicken seem rubbery but taste really good. would you suggest combining both mixtures? I marinade my chicken for up to 3 days. Could I do it with combo?

You can combine both, just add some more salt to your marinade. Since you marinade for 3 days, I'd add only a little more salt to your marinade. If it's not enough, then add some more...
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Quick note Reply with quote

A search for "brine" on the main page will not show this page as a result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: