Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What’s Lurking in Your Countertop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: What’s Lurking in Your Countertop? Reply with quote

I didn't know where to put this. It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think counter tops are a kind of tools and equipment since we do our work on them. Today I saw a very interesting article in the New York Times:

By KATE MURPHY
Published: July 24, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?ex=1217563200&en=ac217b3938b60dcc&ei=5070&emc=eta1

It seems that some varieties of granite used in counter tops have high levels of radioactive uranium and emit radon gas as it decays.

Take a look at this now because I don't know how long the NYT keeps their articles online.

Last edited by GaryProtein on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last part of the article suggests testing for radiation or radon. The American Association of Radon Scientists and Technologists (aarst.org) and says testing costs between $100 to $300. Unfortunately the aarst.org website seems to be made for people working in the radon field instead of consumers so it's not easy finding information about testing. I guess it's easier to call their telephone number 1-866-77AARST (1-866-772-2778) and just ask about testing or looking in your yellow pages.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s Lurking in Your Countertop? Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
I didn't know where to put this. It may be a bit if a stretch, but I think counter tops are a kind of tools and equipment since we do our work on them. Today I saw a very interesting article in the New York Times:

By KATE MURPHY
Published: July 24, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/garden/24granite.html?ex=1217563200&en=ac217b3938b60dcc&ei=5070&emc=eta1

It seems that some varieties of granite used in counter tops have high levels of radioactive uranium and emit radon gas as it decays.

Take a look at this now because I don't know how long the NYT keeps their articles online.

I went and checked my countertop. And this would be, Ants.

Biggles
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.

now I know why my pie dough glows . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum