Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharpening tools on a budget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Sharpening tools on a budget Reply with quote

I have a $75 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond and I think I'd like to spend it on something to sharpen my knives. I've been using this sharpener for the last year and a half and am noticing that 1) the tip of my knives are no where near symetrical and 2) it is not keeping them as sharp as I'd expect. I have the Forged Synergy set of Henckels knives. I understand they're probably considered entry level around here but they handle the modest amount of cooking that I do very well.

With that in mind, I'm wondering how you all think my $75 would be best spent (I can subsidize extra money in). After a bit of searching on the forums, I'm guessing I need to find myself a real steel (one without ridges) and stop using the V sharpener entirely. This Bob Kramer by Zwilling is the cheapest one that *looks* smooth based solely on the online pictures.

They also have a 2-stage whetstone (220 and 1000) that comes with the guard rails to teach me the proper angle (this is a concern of mine since I don't have any knife-guru friends local to teach me).

And finally, there's a 3-stage sharpener with wheels instead of V cutters. I'm guessing that's only a marginal step above my current V sharpener and I shouldn't get it.

I'm guessing, whatever I end up doing, I should take the knives to somewhere like Sur la Table to be professionally sharpened (and re-shaped) before using whatever tool I end up purchasing.

Thanks for the help,
David
Henryk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David. Don't know if you have still problem with sharpener choice, but maybe someone else will have similar problem. As an amatur knifemaker I suggest to buy one of two sharpners: "Lansky 4 Rod Gourmet Crock Stick Sharpener" (typical for kitchen knives) or "Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System". More universal will be second one - with additional diamond hone and hone for serrated knives you can sharpen and repair all types of knives.
Sharpeners you have suggested.. ekhm... at knife forum I'm active nobody even looks at them.

Greetings, Henry
DavidZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry. That 5-stone system looks pretty nice - and a fantastic price on Amazon ($32 prime). I may well pick one up when I feel my knives are getting dull again.

I took my knives to Sur la Table to get them sharpened and have only honed them with the hone that came in the set since - they're all still fantastically sharp Smile. I had no idea hones worked so well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum