Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Condensed Milk Fudge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love making fudge this way, but often can't because of guilting the rest of my family. So, for those of you with similar problems, here's a tip:
-instead of using regular sweetened condensed milk, try using the fat-free stuff
(if you can find reduced sugar chocolate, this will help tons as well)
Wink
engineer cook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Clarification on quantities Reply with quote

When shopping for sweetened condensed milk I found it comes in 14 oz (by weight) cans, which comes to only 10.5 fluid oz. I tried the recipe with the 14 oz (by weight) amount and it came out fine, so I think that the 14 fl. oz. specified in the ingredients list is just a typo. Also, I found chocolate (or peanut butter) chips tend to come in 11 oz packages. 3 cups of standard-size chips comes to approx. 1 lb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fudge was delicious, and I'm about to try it with swirled white/milk chocolate chips. My one comment is that it really should be chilled for quite a while, preferably overnight. 2 hours just isn't enough for the heat to fully transfer to the cold reservoir. Er, I mean fridge.
Frendlycat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Shipping Fudge Reply with quote

I made this fudge for Thanksgiving (with milk chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and walnuts) and it came out great. I decided to make some to ship in tins to friends/family at Christmas. I have never shipped fudge before, so if anyone has any tips on how to ship it successfully please let me know. I am still making the gift tins, but so far I poured the fudge for two "test tins" right into the decorative tin, which was lined with 2 layers of cling wrap. After it was solid, I took it out of the cling wrap, wrapped the block in a sheet of wax paper (to make it look neater), and then put it back in the tin. I am planning to ship it this way, and hope it doesn't melt! It seems to have worked well so far, and I hope to mail it within the next day or so. In the future I think I will stick with making fudge only for people who leave near me, but I already committed myself this year, so I hope it works out. Again, any comments or advice would be welcome...thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: that's not fudge, it's ganache Reply with quote

Chocolate softened with cream or milk or soft fat isn't an easy way to make fudge. It's ganache, a completely different thing. That's why it's so much easier to get it smooth.

Try rolling this condensed milk ganache into little balls and coating them in cocoa, spices or chocolate, perhaps with a nut or a piece of candied fruit or ginger in the middle, or hollow them out and inject a liquid center...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: variation Reply with quote

i added marshmallows and it is the best fudge i have ever had
mmm....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: RE: that's not fudge, it's ganache Reply with quote

I believe that what separates this from a ganache is the addition of sugar in the sweetened condensed milk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the taste of this fudge but I live in S. TX and it's hot and humid. My fudge won't set up to the point I can take it out of the fridge and set it on a dish to serve. At room temp one could spread it on a cookie. Is this how it will always be for me?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: hints for the Aussies re this fudge. Reply with quote

I live in Australia so could only find Sweetened Condensed Milk in 395 gram (net) tins. This turns out to be 300 ml. which turns out to work very well in this recipe. I sent hubby out for the chocolate chips and he came back with Black & Gold brand (decidedly INFERIOR 'compound chocolate' chips). Resulting mix tasted sour. I added 2 heaping tablespoons of light brown sugar to counteract this somewhat sour taste. Worked well. I even added the brown sugar after the fudge mixture was melted, and worked it right into the fudge. No graininess. Lovely fudge!! Thank you for the recipe! (I made it in my 700 watt microwave with short 15 second bursts).
Kansascook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Another way to prepare fudge Reply with quote

I had a can of sweetened condensed milk and a bag of chocolate chips and was looking for a way to use them when I found this site.

The fudge is really good and extra easy to make.

Instead of putting into a pan and I put it into candy cups. These are parchament paper cups and tin foil cups I had left from another food project.

Put only fudge into them or make a mixture.

I made some fudge only and some I put a little fudge on the bottom and sprinkled in other items like chopped nuts, chopped dried fruit, or spoons of peanut butter. Then I topped them with a little more fudge and put a little of the filling on top to identify them.

They set up super fast when chilled and you can peel off the wrapper cup without any problem.

This would be great in gift baskets!

Thanks for posting it!
jackie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: fudge Reply with quote

Hi, we have trouble finding choc chips where we live so have tried with baking choc - doesn't seem to harden well.... what is it about choc chips that makes it work?
Anything we can use instyead?
Jackie
Jiikyia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Fudge Reply with quote

I was delighted to find this recipe. I had bought a boxed fudge mix last year around the holidays that contained chocolate chips and condensed milk and you added butter to it. It was so easy. I had written down the basics because I thought it would be cheaper to buy the ingredients separately. I made the fudge several times with success. I somehow lost the list and even though I remembered what to use, I couldn't remember the amounts. I can't find the boxed mix any more. I wanted to bring some fudge to work this next week for Halloween and picked up the ingredients today. I then did an internet search for a recipe using those ingredients and found this recipe!! Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Shrotcut for the double boiler Reply with quote

In a heavy bottom pan, pour out the condensed milk and on low heat, stir the milk, add butter in chunks and keep stirring. When butter is completely melted, stir until evenly mixed, and then add Chips (your choice). Stir for 10 -15 seconds, remove from heat. Mix until chips loose their shape, soften and completely melt. It might take some time and effort.
I've made this quick fudge, and did not use double boiler because I was short on time. You learn to handle the chocolate with more practice, so keep trying.

~ FHK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: to fix too-soft fudge, and also, about cinnamon chips Reply with quote

it's actually really easy to alter the firmness of this fudge recipe, since it's the butter that really gives it the softness.

if it's too soft, then next time, just use less butter. just make sure you give it plenty of time to set up (at least 4 hours for me). if it's still too soft, try using half the butter next time.

my dad actually likes his fudge really really firm, and when i make it for him, i don't put in ANY butter at all. (it turns out really solid, and almost crumbly, but still really good.)

for those of you counting calories, you can use the fat-free condensed milk, unsweetened baking chocolate, and add your personal favorite no-calorie sweetener (like splenda or equal) to make it as sweet as you like. you can also use margarine and low cholesterol spreads like smart choice or i can't believe it's not butter if you want not-super-firm fudge.

about those cinnamon chips. i think it is too much to use JUST cinnamon chips, BUT you can melt them in the microwave and drizzle over the top of regular fudge, and swirl it in with a toothpick, and it turns out nice.

~melly
momcesa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Mint fudge Reply with quote

HI I made this fudge last Christmas and found many ways to vary it. One of my favorites was the mint fudge. I used dark chocolate chips and added peppermint extract then once it was all melted I added crushed up peppermint candies. Plus there are so many varieties of chips these days so it is easy to make many types.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: