Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Condensed Milk Fudge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I make this fudge every Christmas for years, I also make a second version with white chocolate such as Ghiradelli's. My question to the forum is, does this fudge need to be refrigerated, will it spoil if left out at room temperature.

If the environment isn't humid and room temperature for you isn't too much over 70°F, then the fudge should be able to keep at room temperature for a few weeks.

Where I live, in the summer, the fudge softens too much to keep out of the refrigerator.
Pat in Texas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Even Easier Fudge Reply with quote

This is a good fudge, but there's an even easier virtually foolproof method I learned last year. It's nearly infinitely variable, too.

Butter or no-stick spray the 8X8 pan as in the original recipe, using parchment paper for easiest removal.

Next, simply take one 11 or 12 oz bag of chocolate chips or any other flavor you desire, and melt in the microwave or as as in the condensed milk recipe. I generally use a one quart pyrex measuring cup and the microwave.
Next. stir in one can of ready to spread chocolate icing. (You can use a dark chocolate for the most intense flavor with dark chocolate chips, use regular chocolate or milk chocolate frosting for variation.) Don't use the "fluffy" or pourable cans or the german chocolate type with nuts and coconut.

Mix in thoroughly and then add nuts or other goodies. A teaspoon of vanilla is good, too. Never add vanilla or any liquid to the melted chips until the icing is incorporated-it will seize them up. Spread in the prepared pan and chill until set. Stores fine at room temperature after setting.

Here's the beauty of this one-use any flavor of chips and icing combination that strikes your fancy. Use white chocolate chips and vanilla icing with red and gren candied cherries for Christmas. Another good "white" combo is with coconut and macadamia nuts. Use vanilla icing with peanut butter, caramel or strawberry icing for unusual fudges. My speciality is butterscotch chips with caramel icing, toasted pecans and vanilla and a touch of cinnamon. With minimal supervision, even little kids can make flawless fudge this way.

Enjoy!

Pat
April

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Substitute Reply with quote

I love the flavor of cocoa; do you have any tips on how to substitue cocoa powder?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Substitute Reply with quote

April wrote:
I love the flavor of cocoa; do you have any tips on how to substitue cocoa powder?

One strategy is simply use darker chocolate to give you that strong cocoa flavor. It doesn't have to be chocolate chips, any form of chocolate that you can melt in with the other two ingredients should work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B E A UTIFUL Fudge....thanks for the great recipe...this will no doubt be a standard in our house now. I added chopped honey roasted macadamia nuts to one I made yesterday and it was all gone in 20 minutes Shock Thanks Again!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to substituted evaporated milk for the sweetened condensed milk?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Is there a way to substituted evaporated milk for the sweetened condensed milk?

I haven't done this myself, but I've read that if you bring 1 cup (8 oz. or 235 mL) evaporated milk to a simmer and add 1-1/4 cup (125 g) sugar and stir until the sugar has fully dissolved, it is a good approximate of sweetened condensed milk.
livinginmexico

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

I can't get chocolate chips here in Mexico. I really would like to make this fudge, anyone know how much lets say chocolate bars (it would be 70%) would I have to use? They are rather expenisive here and I bring them back from the US when I visit or have to buy them here at $4.00 per smaller bar..about 2 servings and are in either grams or oz bars, usually grams. I get confused with metric and the british systems.

Thanks for advice. Unsure
Laura
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: question Reply with quote

livinginmexico wrote:
I can't get chocolate chips here in Mexico. I really would like to make this fudge, anyone know how much lets say chocolate bars (it would be 70%) would I have to use?

If you don't have chocolate chips, then just use 450 g of chocolate that's been chopped into small chunks.
Onyx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: The best fudge Reply with quote

I have been making this fudge for years. I find I am only limited by the variety of chocolate chips that I can find. One year I found chocolate raspberry chips, it was superb. I will warn against using the cinnamon chips if you can find them. It smelled great like the center ofa cinnabon cinnamon roll, was too rich for even my taste. I also used the mint chips. In my opinion this is truely a no fail fudge.

One can also use some of the flavored dipping chocolate wafers mixed with regular chocolate for some exotic flavors.
Eliz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: question about powdered unsweetened cocoa Reply with quote

Hi, Michael!
I like your site. It helps me to be more exact in my cooking and understand the processes that go into consistent results.

I have a question about your fudge recipe. I live in an area where real chocolate chips are very expensive and rare, and the compound (barely any chocolate in them) ones are common (and very yucky), and I have had to bring real ones back from the States when I visit, in suitcases, in order to have "real" chocolate chip cookies. Consequently, I do not use these chips when I don't have to. I manage and hoard them like gold. So could I substitute some of the chips in this recipe? If so, what would I use? A chocolate bar or cocoa? What components would you tweak in order to accommodate this substitution?
Thanks!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: question about powdered unsweetened cocoa Reply with quote

Eliz wrote:
Consequently, I do not use these chips when I don't have to. I manage and hoard them like gold. So could I substitute some of the chips in this recipe? If so, what would I use? A chocolate bar or cocoa? What components would you tweak in order to accommodate this substitution?
Thanks!

Just use a semi-sweet or dark chocolate bar and chop them up so they melt easily. The chips are used for convenience.
Alexandra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Adding extracts Reply with quote

I wanted to try making this recipe with butterscotch chips and rum extract. Do you think the extract will make the mixture seize up?
Kiny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: cocoa powder in fudge recipe Reply with quote

I too live in an area where we have no chocolate chips and no good chocolate bars either. I did find cocoa powder though and was wondering if I could use that and how ( and if someone knows how to use it to cover candy.....)

Kiny
peachesncream

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: substitute for chocolate chips Reply with quote

Not sure how helpful it is for fudge, but I have had success doing this in other recipes:
Substitute 1 tablespoon plus 1 3/4 teaspoons (9.5 grams) of cocoa, 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon (14.5 grams) granulated white sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) unsalted butter for every ounce (28 grams) of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: