Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Condensed Milk Fudge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperate for fudge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Cocoa powder Reply with quote

Is there any way I can use cocoa powder instead of chocolate, as I don't have any ? :/ please reply.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cocoa powder Reply with quote

Desperate for fudge wrote:
Is there any way I can use cocoa powder instead of chocolate, as I don't have any ? :/ please reply.

Not really. Cocoa powder isn't the same as chocolate (not even 100% cacao chocolate). It's only one part of the ingredients (the other part being the cocoa butter which has been removed to make cocoa powder). You might be able to get it to work by adding other ingredients, but I wouldn't know where to start without a lot of experimenting... easier to just buy chocolate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Microwave fudge Reply with quote

This microwave method prevents burning the chocolate by adding it at the end: mix condensed milk, butter & sugar. Microwave 3 minutes. Take out and stir. Microwave another 3 minutes. Take out and stir again. Microwave another 3 minutes. Sitr in chocolate. The chocolate melts due to the heat, but never gets microwaved. Magic! Cadbury chocolate melts work very nicely - using whilte chocolate with brown sugar (instead of white) makes a delicious caramel flavor fudge.
Lori Pickett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Fudge Reply with quote

I make fudge for Christmas gifts every year. It's not even requested anymore. It is EXPECTED! Anyway, I use 1 package of almond bark to 1 can of condensed milk, melt together. Take off the burner add flavoring, color, nuts, candy, etc. Pour into buttered dish and let sit.
For Maple I use white almond bark and mix in 1 1/2 tsp. maple flavoring. I have made white with vanilla and add chopped up candied cherries. I have made bananna fudge, raspberry, cherry, etc. Make the white fudge and add 1 1/2 tsp of whatever flavoring suits you. If you want color use food coloring gel (not liquid). They do have chocolate and butterscotch almond bark if you would rather just have those flavors.
Liliya81

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: love this recipe Reply with quote

I found this recipe years ago, and absolutely love it. Tried other ones but nothing compares to this one. Thank you so much for posting this recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: fudge Reply with quote

I have been making this fudge for years and it is allways good. I heat the condensed milk in a glass microwave bowl first in microwave untill it starts to boil let boil for about 3 minutes.take out and add rest of ingredients. stir untill it starts to thicken about 1 minute. our into tin foil lined dish and refrigerate about 2 or 3 hours untill firm. You can takel foil off with no trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came out a lot more like brownie batter than fudge for me. Not sure where I went wrong.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Fudge for Fundraisers Reply with quote

For the past three years our Boy Scout Troop has been using this fudge recipe for their fundraisers and it has been a great success. Twice a year we direct the scouts to this recipe and we will yield about 40 lbs. of fudge. The fudge turns out great even with all the new members using the recipe for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: re-melting Reply with quote

I want to add mint extract to my fudge; can I melt it again, add the mint and let it set again?
RobbyD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: My Metod and Tips Reply with quote

I'm sure that I'm repeating many things that others have posted. However, when I can make fudge in 3-1/2 minutes or less in the microwave, I won't bother with other methods. I always use a microwave-safe batter bowl for my fudge.

My basic ingredient list is:

3 cups (any flavor) chips
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 teaspoon pure extract (flavor depending on flavor of chips)
optional additions, such as nuts, candied fruit, etc.

My Method:

In the following order, place butter in bottom of bowl, then pour in chips, then pour in sweetened condensed milk.

Cook on high power for up to 3-1/2 minutes, stirring thoroughly after each 30 seconds.

Remove from microwave and thoroughly stir in extract, if using.

Last of all, stir in any additions you prefer, then pour into 8 x 8 inch baking pan that has been lined with parchment paper.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours. Remove from pan by lifting out by parchment. Slice into bars or squares.

One last thing... A particular favorite of mine is Maple Walnut Fudge. I use Ghirardelli Classic White Chips. For flavor I use Mapleine Maple Flavor (sometimes hard to find). At the end I add 1-1/2 cups broken walnut pieces. Broke black walnut pieces can also be used.

Thanks for reading!
mrsdelgado1993

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Fantasy butterscotch fudge doesn't work right Reply with quote

I have found that the fantasy fudge does not work out right if using butterscotch chips. The top layer firms while the underside remains "goopy".
marymcgX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the message "On June 23, 2006 at 08:27 PM, Eliz (guest) said...
Subject: question about powdered unsweetened cocoa" substitutes for unsweetened of semisweet chocolate are as follows:

1 ounce of baking chocolate = 3 Tblsp. Cocoa powder + 1 Tblsp. Oil or melted butter

1 ounce of semisweet chocolate = 3 Tblsp. Cocoa powder + 1 Tblsp. Sugar + 1 Tblsp. Oil or melted butter

I've used the baking chocolate substitution in a brownie recipe; I think the semisweet version might work out okay in Mike's fudge recipe.[/b]
sensiblewall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, loving this thread!

i am a fudgee lover and this thread is indeed helpful on how to make one.

Thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: