Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Condensed Milk Fudge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently you did not make the recipe.

as for teaspoon/tablespoon, I agree it's a arcane measure - started in England as I dimly recall, but in the USA, being an advanced civilization, they put little marks on the paper wrappers of the butter sticks.

I'm forced to presume you're not in USA as you have not seen a clever invention such as an index mark.

>>I believe my 20 years experience as a confectioner is ample qualification to pass these comments,

nope. the problem in dealing with engineers is they actually think, engineers can actual decipher what a teaspoon or tablespoon measure means in context as opposed to a 20 year professional who opts to balance a kilo of butter on a spoon and call it a "tablespoon"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything turned out great when I followed the recipe, except some family members found it too sweet. Anybody know a good way to adjust it so it's not quite so sweet? thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Everything turned out great when I followed the recipe, except some family members found it too sweet. Anybody know a good way to adjust it so it's not quite so sweet? thanks

Darker chocolate?
Di

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: 2 mjinute microwave fudge Reply with quote

I tired it and it is in the fridge---seems to "runny" to set but I will know later. It was easy and fast tho!!! Unsure Laughing Out Loud

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: powdered cocoa Reply with quote

Recipes are always calling for chips instead of cocoa or even bakers chocolate.
Why? chips are soo much more expensive per ounce, and why use something that is more processed?
It does not make sense to me to use chips as a substitute.
Catherine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this and the kids LOVED it!! It makes LOADS... the children are going to take some for their friends for Xmas in some little boxes.

Its not granular like other fudge cos there is no sugar in it, its more like a soft fondant/nougaty kind of chocolate but is still scum diddly umptious!!!!!!

So quick and easy to make - all I have to do now is experiment with it!!
Fudgester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: fudge Reply with quote

This fudge is the best in the world. Teasing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Fudge Reply with quote

I was rather wondering if, as engineers, anyone could point out whether in the old fashioned fudge (heating, cooling and beating method) would be effected by the use of cream in lieu of milk.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fudge Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I was rather wondering if, as engineers, anyone could point out whether in the old fashioned fudge (heating, cooling and beating method) would be effected by the use of cream in lieu of milk.

As long as you follow the correct temperatures, you should be able to make fudge using cream instead of milk using the traditional method without a problem.
Guest/Kristin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Cream substitution Reply with quote

Thank you for your input Smile I'll let you know how it turns out.
cjenn@ptd.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Fudge made w/ Sweetened condensed milk BUT need advice.. Reply with quote

Nigella Lawson says she uses 12 ounces of Bakers Chocolate{12 squares] to 24 ounces of sweetened condensed milk BUT I only have 8 Squares of Bakers Chocolate..& 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk also
2 tblsp of butter
pinch of salt
TSP Vanilla?
BUT I use Salt Sense same salt but 1/2 the bite not important,right?
BUT I have 8 ounces {8 Squares}{ I will chop us to melt..}BUT
How much Condensed Milk do I add to 8 ounces from a 14 ounce can of Condensed Milk so she uses both the same amounts of each..using 12 ounces of chocolate to 24 ounces of "Sweetened Condensed Milk" BUT I only have 8 OUNCES OF CHOCOLATE so
How MUCH MILK DO I ADD?
AND DO I ADD VANILLA
Can I add coconut AFTER OR BEFORe IT COOLa
Having such a problem because how does one know how much milk to add to 8 ounces of Squares melted Please help! Sad
cjenn@ptd.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fudge Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Guest wrote:

As long as you follow the correct temperatures, you should be able to make fudge using cream instead of milk using the traditional method without a problem.
:
Can you please answer cjenn@ptd.net re sweetened Condensed Milk 14 ounces BUT I Only have 8 ounces of chocolate {bakers Chocolate} squares[will chop of course] BUT if 12 ounces of squares to 24 ounces of milk[Condensed] then what do I add to my 8 ounces of squares and my 14 ounces of Condensed Milk when making Fudge?
Do I take away the am't of milk or add "ALL the 14 ounces of condensed" milk?Please Help Nigella Lawson the cookingchennel makes 12 ounces {squares]to 24 condensed milk
How does one "cut or add this kind of uneven measuring Oh God please don't let it come out watery..how much MILK?? Please! Guest.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're short on choc - 8 oz vs 12 called for,

just use 2/3 of the ingredients called for
example two-thirds of 24 ounces of condensed milk = 16 oz
which is problematic, since you only have 14 ounces of that anyway.

you could add 2 ounces of something else - cream perhaps, or whole milk, but you have to realize you are running a risk as most candy recipes are pretty well 'fixed' in their proportions.
Vince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: My version of the condensed milk fudge... Reply with quote

I like the Following recipe...

3 oz of cream cheese
2 packages of chocolate chips
1 can (small can of sweetened condensed milk)

melt ingredents together like other fudge recepies, pour into a disposable 9x9 aluminum pan with wax paper covering the bottom before pouring in. let cool, and chill before cutting.

Variations -
I like to use the darkest sweetened chocolate I can get, and add about 4 tablespoons of expresso roast beans that have been turkish ground into a very fine powder.

also adding things like toffee bits or nuts to the origional receipe are good. also consider rasberry chocolate chips, dried cranberry or dried cherry's are good too...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: for the fellow who got toffee Reply with quote

did you microwave it? if so, you probably burned it -- did this once reheating a chocolate ganache sauce [hit 10 min instead of 1 min] -- oil and cocoa solids separate and the resulting sticky solid mess is very toffee-like
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: