Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Condensed Milk Fudge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanilajude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: your wonderful condensed milk fudge Reply with quote

Unsure I found myself absolutely beside myself just a short time ago. I needed fudge and I needed it now!!!
My sis makes this fudge but she's up to early and I can't wake her. So I got on line and Michael bless your heart I can now have my fudge.. Big smile

Thank you for being so kind.
Vanilajude in Eastern Washington[/u][/b]
Lyndsay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: foolproof chocolate fudge (creamy dark veriation) Reply with quote

this is the best fudge I have ever had and I am recomending it to all of my friends
laurieckk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: fudge Reply with quote

I've been using almost this same recipe for years also, I've found if you use marshmallows also, and leave it sit out(in a pie safe?) it sets up much firmer, more like real fudge. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Melting in an oven Reply with quote

I've had good success with melting the fudge ingredients together in an oven-proof saucepan placed in a warm convection oven. The temperature was set to 80 C, and I stirred once after 10 minutes and waited another t0 minutes to stir again. At that point the fudge was finished, that is ready to blend completely and be poured out.
dobes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: fudge Reply with quote

Found the recipe in the NYT and tried it. It came out a glossy, thick liquid that never did harden to the point that it could be cut. It ended up kind of like a thick sauce for hot fudge sundaes - I had to dump it all.

What could have happened???????? Sad
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: fudge Reply with quote

dobes wrote:
Found the recipe in the NYT and tried it. It came out a glossy, thick liquid that never did harden to the point that it could be cut. It ended up kind of like a thick sauce for hot fudge sundaes - I had to dump it all.

uhmm, you'd prolly have to post the recipe and what you did for any kind of intelligent guess.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: fudge Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
dobes wrote:

uhmm, you'd prolly have to post the recipe and what you did for any kind of intelligent guess.

Dobes probably used the recipe from this site since it was published in the New York Times a week or so ago.

Dobes, we'll need to know what the can of condensed milk said (label information - brand, and ingredients), what kind of chocolate, and whether or not you used butter.
stormer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: fudge storage Reply with quote

"'Anonymous wrote:
I make this fudge every Christmas for years, I also make a second version with white chocolate such as Ghiradelli's. My question to the forum is, does this fudge need to be refrigerated, will it spoil if left out at room temperature.'

If the environment isn't humid and room temperature for you isn't too much over 70°F, then the fudge should be able to keep at room temperature for a few weeks.

Where I live, in the summer, the fudge softens too much to keep out of the refrigerator."

didn't read any further when i saw that response but i wanted to give y'all a little tip because i was a fudge maker for a while at a store.

fudge should either be left out on the counter (assuming it isn't too hot/humid as mentioned above) but should NOT be stored in the fridge!! storing it this way will dry out your fudge since the air inside is so dry, we always recommended people store it in the freezer in an air tight bag (obviously!). it stays fresh much longer (i think we told people it could be stored safely for upwards of a year if it lasted that long without being dessimated) and thaws out very quickly!
Karuna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Tbs? Reply with quote

Just want to confirm if 4 Tbs butter means 4 tablespoons or 4 teaspoons?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tbs? Reply with quote

Karuna wrote:
Just want to confirm if 4 Tbs butter means 4 tablespoons or 4 teaspoons?

On this site:
Tbs = Tablespoons
tsp = teaspoons
Stephanie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Easiesdt way to make this recipe, period Reply with quote

I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this, and i admit I may have missed it in the comments, but the easiest way to make this fudge is to heat the butter and condensed milk in a microwave safe bowl, for about 2 minutes in the microwave. Then pour it over the chocolate chips and let it sit for about a minute to melt the chocolate, then stir! I've made it twice this way and it has turned out lovely both times. It utilizes the convenience of the microwave while completely eliminating the risk of burning the chocolate.
Ngaire

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Wonderful! Reply with quote

I made this for the fist time yesterday, and had leftovers that would not fit in the tin. Decided to try to make some choc mint out of the left overs, 1 tsp of perpermint essence to about 1/3 of the mixture set a little softer than the normal recipe, but tasted GREAT!.

I'm going to try for bailey's flavour next, with white choc, rum and vanilla. YUM!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: No sugar fudge Reply with quote

Anger I am not sure if I did something wrong but mine came out like toffee..............expensive stuff up.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: No sugar fudge Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anger I am not sure if I did something wrong but mine came out like toffee..............expensive stuff up.

Toffee is an unexpected result! Can you tell us what you did? I suspect it might be the ingredients you chose since following this recipe should result in only $6-$10 worth of ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK; Measuring butter by tablespoons, pet hate because it is a stupid idea, it is impossible to be accurate, is messy and takes time. weight measures are what the professionals use and for good reason.
Next, to avoid unnecessary messing around, save time and use fewer dishes just melt the butter in the micro + stir in the choc then the milk. this saves time waiting for cooling.

Preperation, cooking and cooling time 2mins. Job done.

If there is not enough butter to melt the choc then just add some of the cond. milk to the butter before heating.

( im guessing you dont mean LEVEL spoons of butter, clearly that would not be sufficient quantity to melt 1lb of chocolate, but where do you draw the line in terms of how much to heap on the spoon? you could probably balance a full 250g block on a spoon whether it be a teaspoon, dessertspoon or tablespoon.... See what I mean about spoon measures for butter being RIDICULOUS ??) .....Ok, I am aware that a tablespoon measure is a 25ml cup levelled, but why waste time and make a mess by pressing the butter into said receptacle, levveling it and then scooping it out ??? If the recipe stated "100g" then you could simply take a 250g block, cut around 2/5 off and chuck it in the bowl. Obviously, if absolute accuracy is required you would weigh it, my point is that spoon measures are neither convenient nor accurate.

Next point: This stuff is maybe tasty but it is not fudge. Fudge is a specific confection made by a process which utilises the inversion and crystallisation properties of sugar.

It would be more accurate to term this recipe a 'ganache'.

There are 1000's of these recipes on the www , the reason I comment on this one is that the site is called cooking for ENGINEERS and as such, I would expect to find accurate scientific information on the technical aspects of cookery. At best. this is nothing more than a simple housewives recipe .

I believe my 20 years experience as a confectioner is ample qualification to pass these comments, sorry for any offence caused but as previously stated I feel this is entirely justified given the name of the website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: