Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full on, Home-made Venison Sausage making.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Full on, Home-made Venison Sausage making. Reply with quote

my good friend Derek (the Ratman), from over at the countryways forums has given me permssion to copy and reproduce his venison sausage making thread here at cookingforengineers.

Please take the time to visit his countryways web-site;

http://countryways.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Venison Sausages. Never made them, eaten plenty so decided it was time to have a go. A trip out earlier in the week secured the main ingredient :smt003

A few minutes with a skinning knife and the deer was skinned and jointed and ready to be cut up for the mincer

The Mincer

First bowl of venison, 7lb in weight

A few pounds of belly pork provided the fat required

Both the pork and the venison was now passed through the mincer

The magic seasonings were added and mixed by hand

The rusk was also added and mixed and the whole mix was then passed through the mincer once more and slowly the red wine was added to the mix

The casings were soaked in warm water for around half an hour and the salt washed from them. Patiently the casing was fed onto the nozzle of the sausage stuffer

Let battle commence. Here come the bangers

A bit of fiddling and a couple of twists seperates each sausage

They even began to resemble a sausage

The first of many more

Now we are really getting into it

Even had some left over to make some venison burgers. Again the meat is put through the mincer

The secret ingredients added along with some water.

So all in we made 90 venison sausages, some spiced and some with spice and red wine and 19 burgers. We also kept the loin fillets entire as they will go nice on the barbie.

Just stoking the frying pan as we speak !!!!!!

Just needs some wholegrain mustard, got some in the cupboard so I might be gone for a few mins :smt023 :smt023

Again, many thanks to my friend Derek at http://countryways.myfreeforum.org/index.php for allowing me to reproduce his original posting
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, that looks so good! I haven't had a good sausage in a while... maybe I'll get some tomorrow. (Clearly they won't be as good as homemade, but better than nothing!)
Sausageman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Nice sausages Reply with quote

Hey Gareth,
I always love a new sausage recipe, and yours is a cracker, well done.
I just happen to have some venison in my freezer and was wondering what to make with it.
My Wife wanted a venison pie, boy, is she out of luck.
I have been making my own sausages for about 10 years, as I couldn't find a decent one here in Australia, (they are full of gristle) I hate that, you can't eat them cold with HP sauce because of the gristle.
Keep it up.
Thanks for the Scotch egg recipe also.

Mike
Sausageman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Nice sausages Reply with quote

Hey Gareth,
I always love a new sausage recipe, and yours is a cracker, well done.
I just happen to have some venison in my freezer and was wondering what to make with it.
My Wife wanted a venison pie, boy, is she out of luck.
I have been making my own sausages for about 10 years, as I couldn't find a decent one here in Australia, (they are full of gristle) I hate that, you can't eat them cold with HP sauce because of the gristle.
Keep it up.
Thanks for the Scotch egg recipe also.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum