Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calibrating a thermometer above boiling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwgoodmanmd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Calibrating a thermometer above boiling Reply with quote

I have more thermometers that I admit. Because when I try to get some agreement on 350 degrees or 249 degrees or any temp above 212 degrees, the several thermometers (metal and bulb types) will disagree by one to several degrees. And, of course, I don't know which is morenearly correct. It's really bad for sugar cooking and it's not the best for deep frying. I can make do with "thread" "hard ball" and those terms. But I'm too new at this to be certgain that I am consistent.

Is there a solution that can be purchased that will boil at some high temperature so that thermometers can be calibrated for temps above 212?

Sincerely

John W. Goodman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum