Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knife Advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
if I had to go whack 25 pounds of onions to a fine dice ala' a restaurant prep station, no quibble in my mind I'd be looking for a bigger knife _and_ a bigger cutting board <g>

can't think of when I need to attack more that one large onion.... oh, did onion soup - actually, got out the mandolin and whacked'em real fast.

About the mandolines, Cooks Illustrated tested mandolines in the last couple of months and liked the $50 Oxo best---better than the $300 All-Clad. That sure caught my eye. I'm in the market for a mandoline but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting - I got the OXO Good Grips as a present about 2-3 years back - does a good job - easy adjust, easy clean.
rembrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
if I had to go whack 25 pounds of onions to a fine dice ala' a restaurant prep station, no quibble in my mind I'd be looking for a bigger knife _and_ a bigger cutting board <g>

can't think of when I need to attack more that one large onion.... oh, did onion soup - actually, got out the mandolin and whacked'em real fast.

2-3 carrots and a clip; perhaps two stalks of celery... the odd parsnip or turnip.... on a "home" scale the 10" is really big enough, methinks.

I like the six inch chefs for small tasks because it is very easy to control - not so much "aiming&hoping" involved - radishes, 2-3 scallions, smashed garlic clove or three, shallots, skinny chilies.... rarely rarely used on meat cuts, come to think of it.

the eight inch chef is my all purpose - disassembling chicken, trimming meat cuts / fat, larger qty of veg prep, etc.

Where I cook it's more like dicing a 50# sack of onions,then florretting 2 cases of broccoli and in the afternoon there's that 8 10# sacks of half frozen beef,and a dozen buns of fresh basil. My slicer is also important.

I recommend the Kershaw Wasabi 8 1/2" Deba for a "brute force" knife. The single edge stays sharp through some very rough work and it won't chip. It's steel is probably around a 58 rockwell,close to a Forschner which is also rugged,but not quite as burly as that deba.

Shun does make very good knives,it's another brand of Kai/Kershaw.
The various Shun lines are typically laminates with a core of VG 10 (aka VG Gold) steel which is usually treated to 59-61 rockwell and is relatively tough and corrosion resistant for being that hard. Several other Japanese premium knives also use a VG 10 core. The only step up beyond that is a powder steel super alloy like Cowry X but that is VERY expensive.

Even with VG 10....you have to EARN it. For home use, I'd probably do a touch-up sharpening once a month. At work...it's more like twice a week.
Learning to sharpen WELL is almost a rite of passage if you want to have a premium Japanese knife. Until your skills on the stone are pretty good.....my $30 Forschner will out cut a $130 Misuno. The advantage of a HARD core is you can lay down a very LOW angle,more acute,and that very fine edge won't quickly blunt. Many knives can take a sharper angle than the factory edge,Forschner's are a good example.

A blade that is relatively thin can sharpen up more than a thicker spined blade. The premium Forged Forschner can't get as sharp as the stamped type,which has a much thinner blade. The forged model may last 100 years....but I won't. MAC has favored a rather thin blade. The round tipped 7" in their original series is a knife that can get VERY sharp and is light. It's not as hard as a VG 10 but costs less and is sweet as a fast/sharp/lightweight. I have a Kershaw 7" 7700 clad. It has a VG7 core..which is like VG 10 minus the cobalt. It's a bit like a Shun for poor folk. Very nice,very sharp,ergonomic,not real easy to find them. I got mine on a special at about half price.

I like having a workhorse chef's 8 or 10",a big Deba that can take abuse,a sharp flexy slicer (no dimples) a fast/VERY sharp light "small" chef's or Santuko, a boner-utility and a small decent parer. The full size Chef's and the small Chef's/santuko is where I'd be willing to spend a bit extra.
A serrated bread knife may also be useful. No point in spending a lot on a serrated. My Forschner slicer is sharp enough that it serves me as a bread slicer rather well.

For a paring knife, a good grip is probably more relevant than fancy steel.
I don't use a parer much and the one in my kit is rather generic but the handle is just right for agility and control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum