Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bananas in the Refrigerator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenming

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Bananas in the Refrigerator Reply with quote

So, after some searching on the internet, it seems that bananas are OK to put in the refrigerator only AFTER they they are ripe.

Some enzyme in the bananas which causes the starches to turn into sugar and ripen doesn't function after being subjected to low temperatures.

Also according to this internet knowledge, AFTER ripening, though, the bananas will keep longer in the fridge, regardless of if their peels turn brown/black.

What say you guys?

[edited because I spelled wrong. why is refrigerator spelled with no 'd', but fridge is???]

Last edited by jenming on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that refrigerating bananas will deactivate their ripening, but I routinely put bananas in the fridge or the freezer after they have ripened. They hold their state fairly well, but the skin does turn brown/black really fast. Not pretty to look at, but the insides are great.
spikegomez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Yes for me that is true, bananas are great if it stay in fridge when ripened the taste is still nice for a longer time but the skin gets bad looking... Big smile
srhcb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I peel fully ripened bananas before I freeze them, six in a pack. (pefect for a double batch of banana bread)

They look terrible after they've thawed out, but they work great.
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually though you put some bananas in ref it wont change the qualities such us taste, odor and etc. But the texture would probably change due to aging.
AnticGod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always store bananas in fridge even if they look terrible after they've thawed out, but they are delicious.
BostonChef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After bananas are ripe Ill put them in the freezer and then make some REALLY yummy banana bread from them Smile Super tasty
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bananas in the Refrigerator Reply with quote

jenming wrote:
Some enzyme in the bananas which causes the starches to turn into sugar and ripen doesn't function after being subjected to low temperatures.

Interesting,i didnt know this!!

I love Bananas!!!!!!!
Hanson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never put my bananas in the refrigerator although I usually try to eat them quickly so they don't go bad once they have ripened. If the cold temperature stops the ripening, could you then take them back out and they would be fine? Or would they start to ripen and go bad? I've also heard that putting them in a paper bag can help keep them longer. It has something to do with the gases the banana puts off.
liontiga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of this before, I will have to do some research on this topic, I never thought about putting bananas in the refrigerator.
Brent01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Bananas in the Refrigerator Reply with quote

Been putting bananas in the refrigerator for years now. One of the best ways to keep them fresh longer. Although they are best eaten that way within a weeks time. Any longer than that, and, well, you know what happens.
Hanson wrote:
If the cold temperature stops the ripening, could you then take them back out and they would be fine? Or would they start to ripen and go bad?

I've also heard that putting them in a paper bag can help keep them longer. It has something to do with the gases the banana puts off.

The cold temp slows the ripening process, it doesn't stop it altogether. If you take them out again, the ripening process just continues at a faster pace than had you left them in the fridge. So, unless you're planning on using them shortly thereafter, keep them in the fridge.

Actually, putting any fruit into a paper bag only speeds up the ripening process, not slows it down. Try it and see for yourself.
vineeta2k

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the theory behind it but everytime I keep bananas in the refrigerator they turn black quickly and don't feel like eating. I never keep ripe bananas in fridge. Unsure
mikeyred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Bananas! Reply with quote

Bananas always turn black in the fridge so fast! its a bummer.. lol
jqueeng02

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: bananas Reply with quote

I love bananas!!!Bu I don't like it being put inside the refrigerator.It tastes better when eaten directly.
Dude111

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well i reckon if you take them OUT OF THE FRIDGE and let them warm up to ROOM TEMP before eating,you will like them fine Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum