Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: confused by peas Reply with quote

GUEST wrote:
Hi Im a bit of a new cook and I was just wondering how to add frozen peas.
Do I need to boil them first? and at what stage should I add them?

Frozen peas are cooked already. If it's a "fresh" bag (i.e. the peas aren't frozen together into one clump), you can just add the peas directly to the recipe. Otherwise, you'll probably want to put them under running cold water to thaw and separate. If the peas are so old that they've started to dessicate (in the freezer ice can sublimate (like evaporation but going from solid to gas) and dry out the peas) then get a new bag.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: lovely! Reply with quote

I have never heard of cottage pie and never tried it myself ever before. I found the recipe here in your site and very amazed of the easy step-by-step procedure and the outcome is just simply yummy! Thanks a lot for the recipe... oh and the other stuff I tried from here came out perfectly too like the cheesecake cupcake and the condensed milk chocolate fudge. Now the banana cake is in the oven hehehe! I love this site! Thank You! Can't wait to try to the other recipes!
dadcook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: recipie Reply with quote

made this tonight for supper and....wow! it was AWESOME! i did reverse cook the lamb as it was still partially frozen , but it was great and my kids loved it.

thanks Smile
RozW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Shepherd's Pie Reply with quote

I love the variations discussed, and although I haven't the time to read all the comments, I hope I'm not mentioning something already added. I like to saute onions and keep them for the mashed potatoes as a change. Also I like to put a layer of corn in between the meat and the potatoes. In the meat I sometimes add Diana Sauce (a Canadian condiment) and/or ketchup or BBQ sauce along with the Worcester Sauce! Yum! This is what I'm making for dinner tonight, in Beijing China! Regards, from Beijing!
Shepherdess

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: good stuff Reply with quote

Loved the recipe, loved the way it was posted! I left the site up and my kids used it to make dinner. We like homegrown lamb, and add a little extra seasoning; like W-sauce & curry. thanks for introducing us to this new old standard!
realfood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: cottage pie Reply with quote

I love the classic Brit recipes - all real food, nothing processed, but still super simple. Thanks for sharing this one. I'm so over the "lowfat" thing; what's killing us is not (natural) fat, but processed food. So I put back the original milk & loads of butter, browned the veggies in bacon grease, and enjoyed my grassfed organic beef cottage pie.

I also stirred in some leftover steak & kidney pie for good measure.

Michael: you forgot nutmeg in the step where it says to gather your rosemary & thyme. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my first encounter with shepherd's pie was in a dorm at a university many years ago. I had no idea what it was. I would not even try it. The presentation was so horrible that it resembled meat loaf with a thick slab of fat on top of it - not lucious mashed potatoes. That says a lot for the quality of the food we had. It wasn't until one of my friends who happened to be a diatetic major worked in the cafeteria clued me in as to what the dish was supposed to be. I still could not try it - based on first impressions. I still haven't tried it in my home to this day. After reading the postings, I may just try it though. Sounds great now!
Shelagh Hutchins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Shepherd's Pie Reply with quote

I've been eating, as a child in England, and making, as an adult living in France, shepherd's pie regularly every two weeks or so. I stick in anything left over, vegetables and meat etc. I always chop up some onion and bacon and fry it before adding the meat. I make gravy by scraping the juices and adding Bisto or some other gravy thickening product and Worcester sauce. I sometimes put a layer of sliced fresh tomatoes under the potato purée. Served with green peas this has always been my very favourite dish, in spite of living in such a gastronomic country!
laurax19x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: cottage pie. Reply with quote

Cool cottage pies are the boom! ... boom representing undescribableydelicious! Big smile
Nutritionist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Truer words... Reply with quote

You go, realfood. People need to get a clue about the crap that the food processors are selling under the cover of emotive, content free words and phrases like "low fat", "organic", and "healthy." The single best thing you can do for your health (in the absence of a serious illness or condition) is to learn to read the food labels and ingredients lists, and then read them (you can start with http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/foodlab.html -- not very good, but it's a start). Then pay attention, and eat everything--*everything*--in moderation. Your body needs fats, carbohydrates, oils, nuts, seeds, meat, eggs, etc.--in moderation. (You need the so-called "healthy" foods as well, but don't be fooled by the marketers, you need all foods.) Ignore the hucksters, use common sense, and enjoy your life and your food--in moderation.
And by the way, great site Michael. Keep it up. If I had known about it, I would have used your link for my Amazon purchase this morning. Sorry, but it won't happen again.
tyleximad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

What a great recipe....THANK YOU my family loved it Smile Smile
Pore ol' John

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Really Lazy Cottage Pie Reply with quote

Really lazy cottage pie:

One can of Mary Kitchen roast beef hash.
One two-serving portion of instant mashed potatoes.

Layer potatoes over hash, bake until bubbling, then broil for color.

Serves two hungry people.

Lazy, simple but darn good.

Pore ol' John

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: your pie sucks ass Reply with quote

just made the pie and it tasted like shit. you dumb witted cunt
dhg53

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Flour Reply with quote

I would brown the flour in a little oil before putting it in. This is how mountain brown flour gravy is made to avoid a pasty white flour taste. The taste is from not browning. In old times flour used to be roasted. I'm an Engineer.
Put a tablespoon of oil in a pan. med heat, add flour. It can take several min for it to turn brown. It must turn brown. Not white. White gives you that nasty pasty lazy yankee white gravy taste. yuck. Learned this from my mountain folks relatives who lived on it in the great depression.
lu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: cottage pie with hidden veg for kids Reply with quote

We now live in Thailand and as my children wont eat much veg I steam a courgette or two in the microwave then mash in the food processor and mix in with the meat, I then add corn kernels and carrot (which they will eat) and they love it, this is a good way to get kids to eat veg, along with food which they do like, cottage pie being a favourite.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: