Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Love your chart! Reply with quote

I'm not an engineer, but I have a passion for efficiency, and I love the way you have charted your recipes!
Yasminah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Fisherman's Pie Reply with quote

You can make a version of this called Fisherman's Pie by substituting cooked fish for the meat and making a white sauce instead of gravy. I usually put cheese in the white sauce. I put cooked spinach in the bottom of the baking dish, top it with cooked (or canned) fish, then the white sauce and finally on the top the mashed potatoes. Then bake, just to warm everything.
Baj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: nice but wrong Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
what you made is a Shepherd's pie.

a cottage pie is a meat pie with mash potatoes on top, the key difference is cottage pie's have pastry base and side with no lid topped with potato's, Shepherd's pie's do not have any pastry.

Shepherds pie uses Lamb (the name is a clue), cottage pie uses beef

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Let's join efforts... Reply with quote

Greetings, my friend. Do you like cooking? Do you enjoy preparing a healthy and tasty meal for your family? It means we have something in common.

When cooking for my 3 years old son I always try to balance what's good and what tastes good. And I am sure you think the same.

So... let's join our efforts. See, alone I can only do so much. Together, with your help, we can make Tasty Chicken Recipes really useful.

And, while you're there, why don't you send me your thoughts on how to make it a better place? A place where you'll really enjoy being. A place that you'll be proud of making better.
MikeReid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: shepherds' pie Reply with quote

I see people talking of shepherds' pie as beef and sweet corn, that is something properly called pate chinois, shepherds pie must contain lamb, other beef pies are cottage pies. (And its shepherds' not shepherd's).
[url]
fwendy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: shepherds' pie Reply with quote

MikeReid wrote:
(And its shepherds' not shepherd's).

Surely that depends on whether the pie was made by (or belonged to) one shepherd, or several in collaboration! Smile

As sheepherding was a solitary occupation, I'd prefer to think of 'shepherd's pie' as being correct.
sporb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Hard to read... Reply with quote

I'm going to cook this tonight for my family; thanks!

I did want to mention that this grey text on black background is a little hard on the eyes of us older engineers....

-b
Sandra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Shepherd's Pie Reply with quote

Does a Shepherd's pie freeze okay? I have a lot of family coming for Christmas and I want to be prepared ahead with lots of comfy foods in the freezer![/b]
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shepherd's Pie Reply with quote

Sandra wrote:
Does a Shepherd's pie freeze okay? I have a lot of family coming for Christmas and I want to be prepared ahead with lots of comfy foods in the freezer!

In my experience, shepherd's pie freezes just fine. Simply freeze it after it's been assembled (before baking) and when it's time to serve, just bake until the edges are bubbly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Slight variation - delicious Reply with quote

Soften some chopped leeks in butter, sprinkle on top of the mash, and grate a little cheese on top. Grill to colo(u)r the cheese. This is a great combination - try it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very simple. the clue is the name. a shepherds pie is made with lamb, and cottage pie with beef. both topped with mashed potato.
PhilB
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Mmmm Reply with quote

I made this a few nights ago for supper. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed it. It looked exactly like the picture too! My old recipe for shephard's pie called for cottage cheese in the potato mixture, which I really enjoyed the creamyness from and would recommend it in this recipe.

My boyfriend also made this for me one day when I came home late. Wow! He did it perfectly!

Thanks for this great recipe!
blueannysis

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Revision for Shepherd's Pie Reply with quote

Instead of the beef broth I use a can of Tomato soup. I also put a can of kernel corn and a can of green beans between the layer of meat and potatoes. I put thin slices of jalapenos on top of the potatoes for asthetic value and to add a little heat.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to include a can of baked beans instead of the gravy, and some frozen peas and corn. Also a squirt of tomato sauce/ketchup and worcestershire sauce. I also sometimes put a layer of mashed sweet potato (yam) under the layer of potato - it's a bit fussy, but it looks & tastes really good!
Doug

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Who hasn't tried it? Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to whoever maintains this forum. I cam across it by accident this morning and I am most impressed by the way it is structured.

Admittedly, I am from a very English family, but I'm really surprised at how many people seem to be trying cottage pie for the first time!

I was brought up on the stuff (and I hasten to add, never brought it up!), and at the ripe young age of 40, we still have it at least once every couple of weeks.

I have to admit, though, that we don't generally wait for leftovers, as these are a rarity in our house!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: