Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oven temperatures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefDebra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: oven temperatures Reply with quote

How low of an oven temperature can you use to cook stews, roasts, and turkey?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>how low . .

there's a technique and discussion for prime rib at 200'F here:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=329

theoretically you could use as low a temp and your desired finish temp - i.e. if you want rare stew meat, 130'F - left in the oven long enough, everything in the oven will reach the equilibrium point (+/-) - ovens cycle off above the set point and cycle on below the set point...

consider the typical usage of slow cookers - or stewing a whole chicken - that's somewhere under 212'F

USDA recommendations for poulty are minimum 165'F

one concern with slow cooking is the length of time in the "danger zone" for rapid bacterial growth.
IDontUse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i disagree. 350 is the most used temperature for stews, as a covered stew will remain at a simmer. Poultry is first seared at 400, then mirepoix is added and the temp is dropped down. Prime rib can be cooked the same way, seared and then cooked slowly, but i would never roast all the way at a low temp. Remember your carry over cooking and resting time. Prime rib can rise about 10 degrees while resting, chicken about 5 so always pull food out early.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDontUse wrote:
Prime rib can be cooked the same way, seared and then cooked slowly, but i would never roast all the way at a low temp. Remember your carry over cooking and resting time. Prime rib can rise about 10 degrees while resting, chicken about 5 so always pull food out early.

Carry over is due to the difference in temperature from the outside of the roast to the inside. The hotter exterior continues to cook the cooler interior. When the temperature difference is not so great (for example, when roasting at 200°F the outside of the roast may be only 160°F while the interior is 135°F), there is very little carry over cooking - perhaps raising the interior temperature by 2 degrees.
IDontUse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand the obvious physics of carry over cooking, which is why i don't roast at said temperature. I've cooked hundreds of roasts in my career and I do know a prime rib will rise 10 degrees while resting.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDontUse wrote:
I do understand the obvious physics of carry over cooking, which is why i don't roast at said temperature. I've cooked hundreds of roasts in my career and I do know a prime rib will rise 10 degrees while resting.

But it doesn't when roasted at low temperature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum