Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Barbecue Pork Ribs (Baby Back or Spare)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stimmy7

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Excelent post- a couple of questions/comments? Reply with quote

I see others asked you about temp 1-2yrs ago- have you gotten a thermometer you can trust for the grill yet? The Maverick 2-probe one is excellent- one sensor near the rack for grill temp, one insertion probe for the meat. Also, you mentioned a gas (ugh!) grill not a smoker, have you remedied that? I have both a Char Broil wagon style coal bbq (CB960) and a Bar B Chef offset smoker- no gas here., never have... never will.
Occasionally I still grill ribs over direct or indirect heat, but prefer to smoke cook them low and slow. Sometimes I'll pop them in the smoker for 30 mins and let the smoke "season them", then finish them up with direct heat on the grill. On the grill, I give the racks 15-20 mins. meat side down, then cook them the balance of the way 40-45 mins. bone side down.
I typically try to keep my smoker at 210-230 degrees and ribs take about 3.5-4.5 hours to cook to the point I prefer them at (170-180 internal). Not much difference in time for spareribs or baby back.
You mentioned rub and foil wrap- I prefer plastic cling wrap (the restaurant variety you can get at Smart and Final) then place them in a large plastic bag and refrigerate or place in a cooler with a bag of ice overnight. I've had trouble with the spices reacting with the foil and transferring a metallic taste.
Also noticed you don't add any liquid pre-rub... I use a mixture of tequila and Worcestershire sauce and brush a light coat on, then rub... and my rub is nearly salt free. I also have a sprayer and every 45mins to hour apply a light mist of apple cider to the ribs- and I don't sauce until the last 15-20mins, and only a light coat. If people want sauce, they can add it at the table- ribs are about the meat!
Generally, when I pull the ribs, I place them in a roasting pan and wrap it with foil, then let them sit for 20-30 minutes before cutting them apart. Nice thing about this is it gives me time to grill corn or par-boiled seasoned potato wedges to serve nice and hot... or even half-hearts of romaine for a grilled salad topped with bleu cheese and bacon.
Thanks for putting together an informative and entertaining site!
metalman245

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Pork Ribs Reply with quote

Smile Food for thought I do St Lewis ribs with charcoal and apple wood chips and spray with apple cider every two hours and I cook at 175 to 225 for 12 to 13 hours falling off the bone good
larrysuziem

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Oven Roasted BBQ Spareribs - Really the best with a twist. Reply with quote

I read the following tip from an old cookbook from the 1960's, but the recipes date back to the 1600's and earlier. Unfortunately, we are traveling so I don't have access to cookbook or the title, but I do remember the "key" to the most tender and moist "fall off the bone" ribs ever. No matter your preference for sauce - do your own thing.

The "key" to the baking and staying moist: Bake the ribs in slow 225 dg oven on broiler rack pan (that comes with every oven). In bottom of drip pan add an inch of hot water. Bake the ribs for about 4 hours depending on size of rack. Make sure the water remains in the base of the pan. Water should NOT touch the meat baking on the broiler rack pan. This moisture added of course keeps the ribs in a roasting yet moist environment, but never "boiling" it, which should never be done.

Remove ribs with pan from oven. Increase oven heat to 450 or 500 dg.

Pour off the water and dripping collected in bottom of broiler/roaster. This gets rid of most of the fat that's cooked off. Baste ribs well with favorite BBQ sauce - we like Stubbs of Cattelmans which are more natural, less sugars & no High Fructose Corn Syrup or wheat for gluten-free - and delicious. Also we make our own, but Stubbs is easier.

Roast on high (450-500 oven) for 30-40 minutes. Place membrane side up for first 15-20 minutes, meaty side up final 15-20 minutes. Baste when flipping to next side or more often if you prefer.

Remove from oven when crust is to your liking. Let ribs "rest" ten minutes to set the meat before cutting apart. You can add additional heated BBQ sauce to your ribs for serving, of course.

These are the most tender ribs you'll ever eat.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>The "key" to the baking and staying moist:

ain't that the truth. and it applies to many many things - whole chicken, beef roasts, pork roasts, (ovened) pork chops - etc.

I am fortunately now to have "time in the kitchen" - so I've gone to the low & slow method for pretty much any of it. obviously if you get home at 5:30 PM and want to eat dinner, 2-3-4 hours of oven time is not a reality - you have to jack up the heat and cook faster.

but roasted chicken - 3 hrs at 245'F followed by a brief skin brown&crisp at 500'F - no comparison.
Imat1956

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lion Premium Grills L75623 32" Natural Gas Grill is latest natural gas grill brand known to me so far. It has premium solid stainless steel cooking grates. I bought this grill few months back and have been using it fairly regularly.. The grill works great and I am particulary fond of searing burner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: