Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indian Pickles -- What are they made of and flavored with?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobNYNY1957

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Indian Pickles -- What are they made of and flavored with? Reply with quote

When I eat in Indian restaurant, there is usally a small condiment bowl of something that is usually called "pickles". Greenish vegetables in a sticky sauce, sometimese with some hard vegetable material pieces, with an indescribable flavor, like nothing else I have ever tasted. Small amounts of it are enough to flavor quite a bit of food. It's not peppery, it's not really sour. I just don't know how to describe the taste (metallic)? Does anyone know what it is made of and how it is flavored?
Watt

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, it is difficult to say which pickle you are talking about from your description, but here are a few thoughts.

Many Indian pickles use lime juce/salt as a preservative, but quite a few use oil as well. This is often mustard oil, and when combined with lime juice and heated with spices, forms an emulsion-like fluid, inwhich the vegetables/fruits are matured.

Pickles of this kind may be made with limes, mango (the small unripe green kind) gunda (very small mango?) chillies and some are mixed veg/fruit. The result, after 4 weeks maturation is slightly sour, usually chilli hot and highly spiced with mustard seed and fenugreek seed.

Let me know if you want a recipe to 'roll yur own'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum