Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flat cut brisket for london broil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbonefirst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: flat cut brisket for london broil? Reply with quote

Flank steak is pretty tough stuff, but cut across the grain/muscle strands, it makes for a very delicious, flavorsome london broil. What about the flat cut of a brisket? Could one cook and/carve that in such a way as to be able to grill it, hot and fast, and have it in rare slices? Thanks for any thoughts!
pbonefirst

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: maybe a marinade Reply with quote

If I wanted to use flat cut brisket for london broil, would some sort of dry rub or a marinade help to flavor it or tenderize it?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

various cuts can be used for London Broil - so why not give it a try?

I would go with a wet marinade - something acid to help break down the meat and flavorings to your preferences -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dilbert! I'm going to try a ginger, soy, sesame salad dressung marinade for a day or so...
IDontUse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the point of cooking meats like these in dry methods, when there are so many other cuts that would be perfect. Brisket can be braised or stewed, but the thought of grilling makes me cringe.
pbone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to try grilling brisket because it is beef, and the cut is the right shape and thickness to cook evenly when exposed to high heat for short periods. It is not, in other words, thicker at one end or side than the other, which would insure uneven doneness. But I tried this, and the first wise saw that comes to mind is the one about a sow's ear and a silk purse. I did wet marinate for 36 hours, but the grilled "steak" came out as tough as shoe leather, no matter that I carved it against the muscle grain. It simply has too little fat content. My conclusion: don't be tempted to try to turn a brisket into a steak. It will remain a sow's ear, er... just as tough as one. Slow, wet cooking is the only way to go with this baby! Thanks for your support, Dilbert. Now I know, and I hope this post will inform others tempted to experiment in the same way.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[tough as nails]

ouch. otoh, the brisket is one of those traditional 35 day bbq cook things . . [g]

I've also had good grades go tough on the grill - at least until I picked up on the "finger poke for doneness" trick. it has to come off before it gets to the hard firm stage.
pbone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, of course! Brisket can be "grilled" but preferably low and slow, not like the sirloin steak flash treatment I gave it on a ridged, cast iron grill on the stove!)))) I can imagine it being a super winner if barbecued correctly and smokily, with a great sauce...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum