Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silicone additives in cooking oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Silicone additives in cooking oil Reply with quote

Silicone injected into the body tissues is clearly not healthy, but what about things like peanut oil used for deep frying that has silicone added as an anti-bubbing compound. I think it is ok because silicones are not absorbed though the intestinal tract and they (simethicone and other related silicone molecules) are used in things like GAS-X and other upset-stomach medications. A couple of friends of mine were not happy to see silicone as an added ingredient in the oil when we were deep frying a turkey some time back. Do any of the professional chefs have thoughts on this?

PS: this came to mind because it was mentioned in another post that parchment paper is coated with silicone and should be used for hot foods to prevent sticking while waxed paper should be used for cooking with cold foods.
Irenes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanut oil should be avoided as it is. If it has silicone added, all the more reason not to use it!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the matter with peanut oil?
AnticGod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn`t add it because it will won`t be so delicious as it would be without it. Wink
Try other solutions. Huh?
davidrichard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very different view to the one we take over here.I appreciate the sincere appreciation.Thank you.
counter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the ingredients of peanut oil I use, and fortunately I didn't find silicone... I'm glad about this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum