Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken Liver Pate

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majoco

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Chicken Liver Pate Reply with quote

Hi all - didn't find one on the site so I offer this contribution. I'm sorry it's all in metric - I don't work in cups or sticks of butter! You will need -
About 800grammes uncooked fresh (not frozen) chicken livers untrimmed, which you then trim off all the fatty bits and sinew to produce about 600grammes of meat.
3 rashers bacon finely chopped
150 grammes butter at room temperature
1 large diced onion
3 cloves garlic diced finely
60ml brandy (that's 1/4 cup - I know that one!)
1/4 teaspoon each of ground allspice, ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper

In heavy frying pan, cook chicken livers and bacon gently in 1/3 of the butter for about 10minutes but leave slightly pink in the centre or else will be too dry.

Meanwhile cook onions and garlic in saucepan in 1/3 of the butter until transparent. Don't overcook or will be bitter. Add to livers along with everything else and remaining butter. Simmer for a couple of minutes then leave to cool slightly.

Whizz in a blender until desired consitency, some like it smooooth others chunky. Spoon into buttered shallow glass or china dish, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper, leave to cool then refrigerate.

Serve with crackers or toasted French bread slices. Freezes well when cut up into individual servings and wrapped in cling film. Unfreeze in fridge, goes too slushy if defrosted in microwave.

Add if you want to: 250grammes mushrooms fried with the onions. 100grammes raisins soaked in more brandy after whizzing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum