Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dinner rolls and kneading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Dinner rolls and kneading Reply with quote

When baking dinner rolls, how much does one need to knead the dough for it to be "right". I'm looking for a very light and fluffy texture to the final bread that comes apart easily. There is already butter in the recipe as well. I'm pretty new to bread baking and I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of Bread: A Bakers Book of Techniques and Recipes. Any tips would be great
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Razak -

bread baking is easy - it does take a little practice to 'recognize' how dough(s) handle and feel.

kneading develops gluten which is th elastic that makes the "balloons" that contain the "air bubbles in bread". how much is required does vary from bread to bread so you should follow the directions of the recipe.

stuff like "knead until smooth and elastic" - well, you may not recognize that 'condition' first time you make bread - so don't get discouraged if it all does not work out 'perfect' the first try.

keep in mind that baking ingredients are more science than art - if you are making a stew, a little more of this or that probably won't have much overall effect. this is not true with baking - take care with measuring - I recommend you get a scale and go by weight more than volume. easier to be consistent . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum