Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food Pr0n !!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Food Pr0n !!! Reply with quote

Yay, ate this flank steak last night and couldn't help but share the goodness.

Cheers

Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks really good... I'm sitting here with the leftovers from an aborted lunch from a couple hours ago - the congealed remains of a colorado omelet from IHOP...

I was taking pictures of every meal that I ate this year, but after almost three months, I couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't the photographing - it was the documenting of the photos (tagging and writing descriptions so I'd know what it was and where I got it) that I couldn't handle with my current work load. I'm trying to reduce my commitments so I can start writing regularly on CFE again...

http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/index.php/category/what-i-ate/
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Food Pr0n !!! Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
Yay, ate this flank steak last night and couldn't help but share the goodness.

Cheers

And here is tomorrow's dinner. 10 pounds of mudbugs from LA, oh yes. A nice person sent them to me to "review" for meathenge.

SirShazar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my finest pic:

Roasted Garlic Shrimp with Crustiny.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Food Pr0n !!! Reply with quote

Oh man, another load of flank steak marinated, then tacoed.

And as I was purchasing said items from our local El Salvadorean market I noticed they're carrying Rocky Jr. whole chickens fer $1.29 a pound. That's for tomorrow.

Cheers
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Food Pr0n !!! Reply with quote

Oh my, local El Salvadorean market had a deal on tritips. Marination with extra virgin, s & P, fresh lemon, rosemary. Remove and install to cast iron pan with a trivet to 375 degree oven until 130 F.

And then? Make gravy !!! Use heavy cream in the taters and off you go.

Easy peasy love of life.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictures aren't fair. I haven't had supper yet and I'll only be having sandwiches because it is going to be a late work night for me.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Those pictures aren't fair. I haven't had supper yet and I'll only be having sandwiches because it is going to be a late work night for me.

Sorry man, I know how that is. I suppose you don't want to know I used heavy cream in the potatoes or that I started with butter and finished with butter for the gravy. If it makes you feel any better, our dinner is coming from a can tonight. Too tired to move.

Biggles
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Food Pr0n !!! Reply with quote

As with many people and families, been searching for some deals to get my 2 boys fed. Our local Raley's gives me about 2.5 bags of groceries for about 90 dollars. This covers 1 dinner and some staples for getting them through the school week. My fancy load from the Berkeley Farmer's market has pretty much dwindled to a slow drip.

So, within the last year have been wandering in to my local Mexican and El Salvadorean markets to see what they gots going on. Due to their love and care for their people and the community, they've been able to keep the prices down. While this isn't a heritage, grass fed pork chop, it was pennies over a dollar a piece. Not bad for 1" thick, eh?

I now give them most of my business, as best I can. Have made such a great friend out of one of the shop keepers that he's willing to take me back to El Salvador and show me his country, his family and his ranch.

Now only needing Raley's maybe once a month or less and have gained a second family. I suggest you head out and see what there is around the corner, spend some time. It may just be worth your time and effort.

Biggles
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Food Pr0n !!! Reply with quote

Oh man, what a week. Finally decided to rest an evening and fire up the grill. Once the maple charcoal was going, tossed in a 2" thick cherry branch I had handy.

Let it get super hot, with tons of good air. Here's some grilled flank steak (yes, again) over this fire.

Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep feeling like I should post something beautiful since DrBiggles does it so often... here's my contribution.

Peanut Shaved Ice (I didn't make it) from a place called Snow Miracle in San Jose (Oakridge Mall).

DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
I keep feeling like I should post something beautiful since DrBiggles does it so often... here's my contribution.

Peanut Shaved Ice (I didn't make it) from a place called Snow Miracle in San Jose (Oakridge Mall).

Peanut Shaved Ice? Man, that's some crazy lookin' action there. What's it like?

Here's a shot of a case of Jarritos Mexican Soda I ordered and picked up last night. A friend dubbed it Liquid Crack and I have to agree, it's got real sugar in it. My first sip was back in the mid 1980s and I never looked back.

Oh, and here's one a little closer.

Cheers
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exactly, directly a food photograph. However, it is a charcoaled broad leaf maple fire with a log of cherry. Any food I place over this fire will produce something wonderful!

Just in case you're wondering, what will be placed over it is a 24 hour Brazilian marinaded, pieced out chicken.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peanut shaved ice was amazing. It tasted like cold fluffy peanut butter. Peanut butter flavor - but none of the heavy, coats the roof of your mouth feel (which I love about peanut butter - but sometimes you just want something completely light and refreshing).

I cooked some kalbi style short ribs (boneless) last week.

DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
The peanut shaved ice was amazing. It tasted like cold fluffy peanut butter. Peanut butter flavor - but none of the heavy, coats the roof of your mouth feel (which I love about peanut butter - but sometimes you just want something completely light and refreshing).

I cooked some kalbi style short ribs (boneless) last week.

Oh my, that's quite lurid. Nicely done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum