Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desalting bad pickles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melva02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Desalting bad pickles Reply with quote

Someone posted on the harvest forum at gardenweb.com about some pickles she canned that were too salty. (In case anyone's unfamiliar, canning recipes are tested for safety, so you don't change them on the fly like most cooking.) I suggested that each jar she opened could be drained of its brine and filled with water to allow some salt to leach out of the pickles. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how long this would take or how often to change the water? She said just replacing the brine with fresh water didn't make much difference right away. Who's a chemist on here? :-)
LAN3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Change the water Reply with quote

I don't know about pickles, but whenever I've ever heard of food being preserved in salt, it general takes several changes of water to get the salt out. I'm thinking specifically of bacalao (salt cod) and things like corned beef and probably salt pork. Of course, this sort of soaking is always a prelude to cooking, while aren't meant for cooking, generally speaking. *shrug*. Change the water several times-- or at least taste the water to see if it's taking salt, because if it isn't, then she might have to stick with her salt-pickles.
Gail Miner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: desalting green tomato chow Reply with quote

Re: desalting pickles. I just made green tomato chow and judging frm the couple of tastes I taken, it's too salty for me. Smokers will love it.
I added some extra water but don't think it helped much.
So after checking the web sites, I have decided to use an old remedy for removing salt and that is to use a potato. So when I open a bottle, I am going to put it in a pot, add a small raw, let it cook a bit and see if the taste of the pickles improves. It's worth a try....

submitted by Gail Miner, Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada. Sept 16,2016
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the potato trick is widely rumored to work, but people / labs that try it generally say it doesn't.

I've not yet seen a method to remove excess salt (from food liquids/etc) except by reverse osmosis - which is may not be real practical in home use....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum