Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wusthof vs Messermeister chef knife comparison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kencook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Wusthof vs Messermeister chef knife comparison Reply with quote

I really like the new abbreviated bolster now available on some knives. It allows sharpening completely along the length of the blade. Recently I compared two knives I have been considering and post the following results.
Messermeister Meridian Elite 8" chef knife
length overall 13 - 7/16"
weight 10 oz
blade length 8"
blade width 2"
blade thickness at handle 9/64ths"
blade thickness 5/8" from tip 1/16th"

Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu 8" chef knife
length overall 12 - 7/8"
weight 6 3/4 oz
blade length 8"
blade width 1 - 13/16"
blade thickness at handle 7/64ths"
blade thickness 3 - 3/4" from tip 1/16th"

Conclusion: Messermeister knife is much heavier, a bit longer, blade is wider and thicker, handle is for larger hands. This is a much heftier knife. Wusthof is lighter, thinner, more nimble, seems just a tad sharper out of the box. No bias here, not yet sure of my own preference, take your pick.
Phaedrus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wusthof LCB series copies the best elements of the Messermeister design, namely the lack of a bolster. What I'm not sure of is the angle of the bevel- the Merdians have a 15 degree per side edge grind while most German cutler is around 22-23. As the LCB is basically a knockoff they may have chosen a similar angle as well.

That said I think the LCB is the best cutlery Wusthof has made in decades. The Messermeisters still seem sharper to me IMOHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum