Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baking Stone Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elwyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Baking Stone Size Reply with quote

I want to add a baking stone to my oven and I wonder if the size matters (besides fitting in the oven and holding the bread or pizza) since I'll leave the stone in all the time.

I found one that leaves about one inch clearance on all sides and it would be nice to have maximum capacity. Is there any reason I need to allow more room for circulation?

Thank you!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do need more than one inch. I don't use pizza stones. I use large granite tiles that I have gotten for free a few times! Of course, I'm lucky to have a wet saw so I can cut it any size I want. One inch of air space on each side isn't enough. If you set your oven on bake and 350-400 F, you can have 700 degrees beneath the stone and 300 above it due to insufficient air flow. Maximum size is good up to a point.

The freebie secret: I have gone to tile stores and asked for an 18 x 18 granite tile. When they ask what specific stone, I tell them it doesn't matter and what I will do with it. They often have one remaining tile they probably can't sell from an old lot, and they have given it to me. Now, it might not be free if you start asking them to make custom cuts, but if it fits your oven, or you can cut it yourself, you are in business. Eventually, they do crack, and you just get another one. Even if cracked, they still work just fine.
elwyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much room would you suggest that I allow? The interior of my oven is only 19 x 16-3/4.

Thanks also for the granite tile suggestion, although obviously I'll need to get one smaller than 18 x 18 or have it cut down. Maybe 12 x 12? No extra-large pizzas for me!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you need at least two inches all the way around for air and heat circulation. You might do it with 15 x 13 or so. If you only plan to use it for pizza, you only need an inch all the way around, but for bread, you need more air flow. You can cook the pizza basically through the crust from the bottom, obviously you can't cook bread that way.

I'm assuming you are cooking the bread without a loaf pan and directly on the stone. If you are using a loaf pan, you really don't need the stone. Just make sure your oven is properly pre-heated.
elwyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll be baking bread directly on the stone, so I'll go with the smaller one. Thanks for your advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum