Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas Present

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Christmas Present Reply with quote

I have been looking for a really nice Chef's Knife for my dad for chirstmas, he's the one who does all the cooking in the house. Anyway, he has gotten knife sets before, mostly cheap, on-sale sets. But it seems like every time he gets a new set, the knives go dull within 6 months, or they start to rust or the blade chips. Anyways, I really want to buy him something thats going to last, and something that stays sharp for at least a reasonable amount of time, because most of us don't have the time to sharpen our knives all the time.

I really don't know much about good kitchen knives, only what people have told me, but can someone recommend a good chef's knife, or a set of knifes, and possibly a shapening stone, or whatever you would use to sharpen a knife? Im thinking im want to spend around $100, but im willing to go $150 if I have to. I might spend more if I can find a decent set of knives.

I bought this one for him, http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=363096 the day after thanksgiving, but I might return it, cause I think I really overpaid for it $110. Plus I think I can do better. But I really like that style of knife. I don't know if its called a Chef's knife or not.

Anyways, any help is appriciated thanks.
tg4360

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Knives and care etc.. Reply with quote

I hate to point this out but if the knives are not keeping an edge and rusting and having dings in them after six months then for the most part they are not being maintained properly.

Even the cheapest stamped knives can have utility in the kitchen if they are used and maintained properly. This means using a steel every time the knives are used and washing and storing them properly (not in the dishwasher and in a knife block or at least somewhere that they will not be banging against one another.)

That said...

Look into the calphalon "contemporary" knives currently available.
Nice forged knives with high carbon stainless steel. I've been getting them at bed bath and beyond every time they send me a 20% off coupon. I don't want the whole set so am getting them one at a time. What he needs depends on what he cooks. Basic for me was a chef, boning and paring.

CHeers!
Alan S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been shopping around and I found the same knife I posted above for about $55, which I think is a good deal, I don't know. But is it worth the money? Its High Carbon Stainless Steel, and the Steel is Forged like you said to get. But I have been shopping the Henkel Santoku line, and it seems like that knife is one of the lowest on their Santoku line, at least from the line sold on that website.

Here is another Santoku Knife, for $30 more, its essentially the same knife, but its made completely of Carbon, no Stainless Steel. Is a knife made completely of Carbon a better choice, or is it more trouble than its worth? Cause I have heard that they are harder to take care of.

I know you guys have told me to get a cheaper set because it will meet all my cutting needs, and an expensive knife is just overkill. But my Dad is a real knife collector. He knows whats good, and what isn't. And I want to get him the best knife for the money. I don't want to get him another cheap piece of garbage.

Anyways, thanks for the replys, and sorry if some of the stuff I have said sounds stupid, but as I said, I don't know much when it comes to buying knifes. Thanks
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A knife blade made only of carbon steel will indeed be more work to maintain. In general carbon steel is harder, so can hold a keener edge, but it is also prone to rust and is a bit more brittle than stainless steel. Advances in metallurgy have allowed high-carbon stainless steel to blend rust-free steel with the benefits of high carbon - but there are many varieties of HCSS. To look further in the material properties of the steel would probably be of minor interest to you or your dad since you are shopping for his first high quality chef's knife.

If you like the shape of a santoku, I recommend the MAC Mighty 6.5-in. santoku for ~$80 or the MAC Superior 6.5-in. santoku for ~$50. Both blades perform exceptionally well. In both cases the blades themselves are stamped, but the Mighty has an added bolster for a slightly different balance point.

If you're intersted in chef's knives, then you may want to take a brief look at Equipment & Gear: Chef's Knives Rated.
Alan S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys, this information is going to make my decision much easier.
DanF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan S wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys, this information is going to make my decision much easier.

Hehehe! Laughing Out Loud

That's what *I* thought until I hit this site and others looking for the right knife. Anger I had it boiled down to two brands... seemed nice and simple. Read Michaels' review and I quickly realized that I should look into a few others. That led me to other sites with other knives and other opinions! There are so many good chef knife makers out there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum