Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pasta/lasagna sauce

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: pasta/lasagna sauce Reply with quote

figured I'd finally join and shared.

After much cooking/drinking/stealing from others and adding what seemed like good ideas (ex-step parents family recipe), I came up with this awhile ago.

all measurements are normally done by "about that much", so I might be off... the olive oil seems low by my standards, but it's a safe guess. Ohh... and it seems to can good (hasn't killed me yet)!

28 oz crushed tomatos
16 oz diced tomatos
1 1/2 cups crushed garlic
2 bulbs (not cloves) garlic
1 lbs of italian pork sausage (ground up, not link)
1 package dried morel mushrooms (dozen or so)
1 1/2 cup olive oil
2 hotish peppers (i go 1 anahiem and 1 jalapeno)
1 red/green/purple pepper
1 oninion (red's good)
1 cup italian seasoning from the bulk section
2 tablespoon black/white fancy mixed fresh ground (you grind) pepper
1 small can of diced olives
1 cup fresh (like the pepper, you shredded it) asiago cheese
1 large (or two 12 oz) bottle of any one of the Lindemans Lambic fruit/berry beers (not the normal lambic) the berries are a better combination for this
1 large (or two small) bottle of any Chimay beer (blue is better)
1 cup of wine
1 package of good sharp white cheddar (http://www.kerrygold.com/usa/product_cheddar.html is awesome)
1/2 cube of good quality cream butter
some good salami and crackers or cocktail rye bread (whatever it's called, the small fancy stuff)
your favorite pasta

put morel mushrooms in wine, (this will take 20 minutes or so, adjust as needed)

cut up peppers (remove seeds) and onion into itty bitty pieces
throw itty bitty pepper, ground up pepper, onion, 1 cups olive oil, olives, all but 1 tablespoon of italian season, crushed tomatos, diced tomatos into huge saucepan (uncovered), high simmer... just low enough not to burn anything, but we want to boil off most of the water
brown the sausage, smaller chunks are better. then throw in the saucepan.

put a tablespoon of italian seasoning in a big pot of water

cut up the 2 bulbs of garlic into small pieces
put butter and 1/2 cup olive oil in a frying pan on some temp the lowside of mediumish, add garlic pieces and all the crushed garlic...

run over and grab those morel mushrooms out of the wine (keep the wine mix), and slice (not dice) into smallish chunks, toss those in with the garlic butter oil mix and mix the mix around every now and then.

cut up that cheddar and salami and put it and crackers or cocktail rye bread all pretty like on a plate, go open the lambic beer and pour into some glasses.

pull the mushrooms (only the mushrooms) out of the frying pan and put them on the small plate.

put the garlicy buttery mix in with the sauce
put the mushroom wine stuff in with the water that has the tablespoon of italian seasoning

sit down on the couch, grab the significant other, eat some mushrooms cheese and crackers, drink some that berry beer, pop in season 2 of the next generation and watch about 6-7 episodes constantly running up and stirring or telling the significant other "no, not yet!"
let it go for 4+ hours, making sure you don't burn it, do not try to crockpot this! absolute minimum 2 hours... really just watch it, you want to remove as much of the water as you can and still keep it of the overall consistency of raw hamburger (why we add lots of olive oil, add more if needed), and we want to absolutely break down all the stuff that was put in, cook that red pepper to mush..

say mmm... that cheese, salami, cracker, mushroom mix went awesome with that beer.

go turn the tea of italian seasoning on low, run back to the couch for 10-15 minutes

run up and say "Okay, Now!", get that tea of italiany/mushroomy goodness on boil, add some olive oil, toss in the pasta (you got that fancy fresh stuff right?).

strain pasta, throw on plates

put pasta sauce on pasta, top with the asiago cheese, crack open the chimay (be careful those corks will smack you in the nose if you're not careful!), sit down and say "see, it was worth the wait" and have yourself a "i told you so moment"
uncoolperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well leave it to me to mess up not logging in first.
uncoolperson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, using this as the sauce for the lasagna on the main page, while adding a layer of cheese to the bottom and sides of the pan (and on top, encompassing everything in baked cheese, wallace would be proud) turns out pretty good.
ruthmoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Mushrooms in wine Reply with quote

Mushrooms in wine? That sounds interesting Smile I might try your recipe. Thanks for dropping by Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum