Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

seafood or savory custard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: seafood or savory custard Reply with quote

I invented a wonderful baked seafood custard with a simple eggs and milk or half and half cut with a little clam juice and extra yolks. I put it into individual ramekins with crabmeat and little bits of cooked, firm fleshed fish like halibut or pollock, and maybe a shrimp and a clam. Not too much seafood; about a total of 2 T per ramekin. A drop of worchestershire sause, salt, white pepper. I baked the ramekins in the oven at I don't know what temp in a baking dish with about an inch of boiling water in there for I don't remember how long. Problem is, I lost my recipe! The idea is to have a seafoody tasting silky custard, slightly browned (to golden) on top...maybe I topped it with a little grated cheese...and not have a watery leakage from the seafood. How did I do it? Anyone have a reliable recipe? The custard had the same texture as cup custard when it worked...I've just lost the proportions of milk/cream to egg to egg yolk...
Watt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,
I cook savoury custards (I use raw scallops, mushrooms, basil leaves etc.) using a tin of cream of mushroom or chicken soup (std can) with three eggs. Thats it. I cook mine in the bowls to be served in (Chinese bowls, but ramekins just as good) covered with aluminium foil and steamed in a Chinese bamboo steamer for 20 - 40 mins, a wide time range I know, but that is what I found, so testing is essential. Result as you describe, very light and wonderful flavours.
HTH
Watt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum