Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Made Knife Blocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Custom Made Knife Blocks Reply with quote

Does anybody know where a CUSTOM MADE knife block can be obtained?

I mean any physical size of the block, any size of the slots, any number of slots, any configuration/location of slots???

I have a lot of kitchen knives. If I was shy, I'd be embarrassed to say how many. I need a block with a face of about 9 x 12 inches, deep enough to hold 14" steels and 14" knives, tilted 30 degrees for easy insertion of the knives, with about thirty horizontal slots of various sizes (cleavers, chef knives, slicers, utility knives, cake knives, decorating knives, cheese knives, parers, etc.) and a couple for different steels. I have designed one in a drawing program, and would like to have it made.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I have exactly the same problem! I currently use a standard block on my counter, a bunch of blade protectors in a drawer and a practically full knife bag. The problem is, if I get a custom block made, then it'll take up too much space and cost too much. I did consider hand making one with food grade glue and bamboo pieces, but I didn't know where to get safe, clean bamboo cut into the strips that I'd need... then I thought, where would I put this thing and how long would this take?

Good luck on your quest!
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the people at Knifeforums were going crazy for the guy at theboardsmith.com, because he made custom boards and knifeblocks to pretty much any specification imaginable (not that cheap, but what do I know about custom woodwork). But alas...he went out of business. I know a couple of them made their own blocks.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Made Knife Blocks Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Does anybody know where a CUSTOM MADE knife block can be obtained?

I mean any physical size of the block, any size of the slots, any number of slots, any configuration/location of slots???

I have a lot of kitchen knives. If I was shy, I'd be embarrassed to say how many. I need a block with a face of about 9 x 12 inches, deep enough to hold 14" steels and 14" knives, tilted 30 degrees for easy insertion of the knives, with about thirty horizontal slots of various sizes (cleavers, chef knives, slicers, utility knives, cake knives, decorating knives, cheese knives, parers, etc.) and a couple for different steels. I have designed one in a drawing program, and would like to have it made.

Dang man! You must have severe amounts of counter space. I ain't that lucky, had to hang mines on the wall. I only have a few dozen knives, so wall mounting the magnetic rigs went pretty fast. I found it nice to be able to see all the works of art instead of hiding them in a block.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a table saw and dado blades, but some of the slots I need are wider than I can make in one dado pass before gluing all the pieces together, and I just don't have the time or equipment to do the trial and error and remakes that would be needed to get mirror image dado cuts perfectly aligned to handle things like cleavers and wide chef knives. I really need a woodworker who knows what he is doing and has dados or other machinery that can make deep and wide cuts.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShazar wrote:
Well, the people at Knifeforums were going crazy for the guy at theboardsmith.com, because he made custom boards and knifeblocks to pretty much any specification imaginable (not that cheap, but what do I know about custom woodwork). But alas...he went out of business. I know a couple of them made their own blocks.

theboardsmith.com still has an active website. I will call them to see what they can do.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Chu wrote:
Gary, I have exactly the same problem! I currently use a standard block on my counter, a bunch of blade protectors in a drawer and a practically full knife bag. . . .

DrBiggles wrote:
. . . . I only have a few dozen knives. . . .Biggles

I feel much better now. I don't feel like I have gone so overboard in buying knives. I'm in good company.
McDee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got me to thinking how nice it would be to go all out custom and have the block mounted in the wall of the kitchen, say just above the backsplash to save counter space.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to get your dados to line up -- the whole cut-out can be on one side of the glue joint.

See if a local high school has a wood shop. You may be able to work a deal with the teacher and a good student.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auspicious wrote:
You don't need to get your dados to line up -- the whole cut-out can be on one side of the glue joint.

See if a local high school has a wood shop. You may be able to work a deal with the teacher and a good student.

My dados won't male a 4 1/2" cut needed for cleavers and the columns of horizontal slots aren't all lined up from top to bottom on the face of the block. Some lines of slots do run top to bottom, but some columns run half-way down due to different slot widths needed for various knives.

I'm not sure the schools in my area would be interested in making a prototype block when you consider the cost of about 1.5 cubic feet of finished walnut that I would like it made of. (I would expect 50% waste on a project by a student to end up with a precision piece.) That doesn't include the time that would be needed between the shop teacher and student to complete the project.
seven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I design & build custom furniture and have been thinking about a new knife block for myself. Perhaps I could make one for you at the same time. Send me a pm if you have not found a local craftsman to help out.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is kinda old but if anyone is still looking vermontbutcherblock.com does custom knife blocks. I don't have any experience with them but the images on their website look pretty good.
dglickman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Custom Made Knife Blocks Reply with quote

Hello all, While reviewing what pages had linked to my website, I noticed that someone from this forum had posted our web address. Technology is just great!

Anyway, as the owner of The Vermont Butcher Block & Board Company, I can tell you that we are actively making custom knife blocks for tens of clients at any one point in time. What we request is tracings of your knives and a $50.00 check be mailed to us. When we receive that, along with any "want to have's", we'll make you a face plate of your new block. If you like it and want to proceed, we credit you the $50.00. Our custom knife blocks range from $200.00 to over $500.00 depending on collection sizes and also skin material. Obviously maple burl is much more expensive than plain maple. Our pieces are functional and beautiful at the same time. You can see numerous pictures of some of the pieces we have made at www.vermontbutcherblock.com or you can e-mail directly at davidg@vermontbutcherblock.com

Sorry to intrude on your forum, but I wanted to give you our information.
Thor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Vermont Butcher Block Reply with quote

Wow. A shameless plug that's actually on topic.

The burled maple looks fantastic. If only I wasn't poor . . . . .
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Made Knife Blocks Reply with quote

dglickman wrote:
Hello all, While reviewing what pages had linked to my website, I noticed that someone from this forum had posted our web address. Technology is just great!

Anyway, as the owner of The Vermont Butcher Block & Board Company, I can tell you that we are actively making custom knife blocks for tens of clients at any one point in time. What we request is tracings of your knives and a $50.00 check be mailed to us. When we receive that, along with any "want to have's", we'll make you a face plate of your new block. If you like it and want to proceed, we credit you the $50.00. Our custom knife blocks range from $200.00 to over $500.00 depending on collection sizes and also skin material. Obviously maple burl is much more expensive than plain maple. Our pieces are functional and beautiful at the same time. You can see numerous pictures of some of the pieces we have made at www.vermontbutcherblock.com or you can e-mail directly at davidg@vermontbutcherblock.com

Sorry to intrude on your forum, but I wanted to give you our information.

Your ad needs to be posted on "Cooking for Management", most engineers aren't into expensive toys unless they have either an engine or microprocessor installed in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum