Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time limit on refrigerating cooked meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meathook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Time limit on refrigerating cooked meat Reply with quote

OK, over did the BBQ thing; did a large pork butt, and four large beef racks for visiting relatives. We were so busy going here and there, that there was no time to enjoy the BBQ except for one very late quick meal. So, company has left but will drop by in a few weeks on their way back home. BBQ is still in the fridge but am concerned about keeping very long in a fridge. Options are to somehow consume it, freeze it, give it away (but would not do this after a week in fridge) or leave it as is.

Question: What is the reasonable limit for keeping smoked, then completely cooked meat in the fridge? When does it become unsafe. I have a tendency to toss foods at a week old but I really hate to do that....this stuff is good! And I have no experience freezing BBQ'd meat (although some world class soups and sauces with meat have done well in freezer with very little loss of quality and no one has died).
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more than one week cooked and well wrapped in the fridge or if well wrapped or in a cryo-bag, many months in a freezer.
meathook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for your comments. Thought one week was ok to be on the safe side; had some today which was nine days so the rest will be pitched. The ribs usually turn out better than the brisket, perhaps because they get longer smoking time and larger surface area exposed to the smoke than a roast.
Paul79UF

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain.

My father is from Argentina, his bbq (a.k.a. "asado") is legendary but he always cooks too much and I invariably get sent home with a huge tray of leftover meat.

After a week of eating all that salty meat for two meals a day, I'm usually pretty sick of it.

Teasing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum