Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using a paint strainer in the kitchen?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: using a paint strainer in the kitchen? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of using fine mesh paint/varnish strainers to strain stock, but I'm wondering about chemical contamination. The paint strainers I'm looking at are made of nylon, paper and cloth. I've read that in restaurant kitchens, cooks sometimes use them as a bag to hold all the solids in a soup. When the soup is done, they just lift out the bag. Anyone aware of any food safety issues from using these industrial products in cooking? Any contaminants released by exposure to the boiling stock that a pre-soaking or pre-boiling would not address?

Thanks in advance,
S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti-fungal agents in the paper and maybe nylon?
I don't think it would matter, but surely you can buy a strainer for this purpose.

I'm assuming this is a nice unused strainer, but just as an aside, ALL paint contains some lead even nowadays, up to 0.2%, according to some respectable sources I've come across... This is not because it is thought to be low enough to be safe, but because it's too much work to do anything about it.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh.....funny subject...I actually work for Binks...we make paint guns and things for painting....we have some paint strainers that are completely cotton that would work perfectly for you....200, 300, 600 mesh...our nylon strainers are not coated and would be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum